video editing with Blender help

I took the video on my iPhone 5C and it looked fine until I put it into the editor. Then a few problems arose. The video became laggy and bad quality. It also got flipped so it’s sideways now.Why did this happen and how do I fix it?
I also want to know how to place a video on top of a picture background in Belnder.

Hi there!

There is a really good series on video editing with blender here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSGIPmQdV6M

Here are some solutions to your issues.

First, make sure that your framerate in the render context is the same as your video. When you add the video as a strip, if the sound is longer than the video, you need to change your framerate.

Sometimes the video editor lags, especially when you are adding effects to the video. This can be reduced by checking ‘frame-dropping’ and ‘av-sync’ found in the playback menu of the timeline. If your video is still too laggy you can use a video proxy. This basically makes a low-res version of your video just so you can edit easier. When you render your video the original quality will be used. (this explains it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzox5qp6jCo)

To get your video on top of the picture, you’ll need to add the picture as an image strip below your video strip. Then add a transform effect strip to your video and press h to mute your original video strip. Then apply a uniform scale to the transform layer using the properties panel in the VSE (open it with ‘N’). You can position the video and rotate it in this panel too. In order to see the image behind use the blend mode ‘over drop’ instead of replace.

Finally your final render quality will have a big impact on the video as well. I like to use the mpeg encoding, choosing mpeg-4 as the format and h.264 as the codec. Make sure you select an audio format as well like AAC. Finally the bit rate you use is important. HD youtube videos are usually around 8000. I wouldn’t go much lower than 6000 or you will really start to notice degradation in quality.

Good luck!

Just to add to the flipped video thing, you shot this on a phone and the usual way to shoot on a phone is holding it upright. However a TV is wide so the phone should be laying down on its side to accommodate this. Sadly this means that you baked in the cropped sides, you either:
a/ make vertical by rotating with gaps on the side or
b/ rotate and zoom up the picture to fill the sides, but you’ll loose resolution making the image softer.

How do I “make sure that your framerate in the render context is the same as your video”? I’m going to be cutting out the sound. Is the lag and garbage quality on my video just in the editor? Or will it be in the final project as well?

Also, I took my video in portrait, but Blender has tilted it to landscape, so it looks really weird. How do I change it so its portrait again?

How do I “make sure that your framerate in the render context is the same as your video”? I’ll be removing sound. Is the lag and bad quality just in the editor or will the final product be like that.

How do I rotate my video?

How do I “make sure that your framerate in the render context is the same as your video”?
In the Render settings set the framerate to the same framerate you shot the video. Also set the output dimensions in pixels in the render settings

Also, I took my video in portrait, but Blender has tilted it to landscape, so it looks really weird. How do I change it so its portrait again?
Add a transform effect strip and in the strip properties rotate/scale the footage

^^ what he said.

The framerate of your video will be visible when you check the details of the videofile outside of blender. Make sure you adjust the framerate in the blender settings before you add your video strip.

I can’t find the Render settings. Can you direct me to it? I found a section but it says render OpenGl animation or something like that and OpenGL. What do I use?

When I transformed it 90 degrees, it messed it up and it looks like this now: http://imgur.com/I38pyEn

This is really hard to understand lol.