HW requirements for sculpting?

Hi!

I have a pretty powerful workstation (desktop) but my wife doesn’t appreciate me sitting in the office all night. So I thought I’d get a laptop to do some fiddling in front of the TV. That way, at least we see each other. :smiley:

I am thinking about doing some sculpting (no rendering). And since it’s in front of the TV I don’t want the fan to be too loud. What are the minimum requirements for smooth sculpting? Is is RAM, CPU or GPU I should focus on?

I’m not a pro (at all) but I’d like to achieve some models with fairly high detail, like wrinkles etc. But if this is a showstopper I can consider to do the last detailed work at my work station.

BTW, I have a Wacom Cintiq 13HD that I’ve planned to hook up to the laptop as the primary interface.

Thanks!

Definitely NOT GPU, the graphics card is only needed for rendering.

• Concerning RAM, make sure that you have at least 4GB Ram, better 8GB.
  • The most difficult part is to choose a proper CPU, if you do not want to invest huge sums, keep looking for some quad-core processor (maybe an Intel i5).
  • I have no clue how to find out how noisy a laptop is - maybe somebody else knows something…

Additionally I suggest you buying a laptop with an SSD drive (at least for your system section), because it is much faster than the good old HDD.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, SSD is becoming more and more mainstream but it shouldn’t be a requirement. Or is Blender reading and writing to disk a lot during sculpting?

Lots of RAM makes sense to handle all those vertices.

But isn’t a nice GPU required in order to keep showing the model in real-time? I don’t want any lag when rotating or working on my model.

Regarding CPU, would a Core M be enough? It looks like they are really cool (=not hot) and won’t require a lot of noisy cooling.

No, it is not. You are right, a SSD is not really needed, but it will speed up your whole operating system noticeably…

Good point. You do not need an high-end GPU, but you should also check that you do not get a laptop with some GeForce FX equivalent :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I am more the desktop pc user (I like to have 2 DVD drives and a floppy drive :)), so I am no laptop hardware freak. I quickly researched on the Intel website and wikipedia: you are right, the M cores do not need much power, which means also that they produce less heat. But they are, at least in my opinion, do not look so promising (only middle-class dual cores, often used in tablets).

But remember, as I said, I am not a laptop hardware expert - maybe somebody else has some more know-how about them…

Why are GeForce FX bad? Worse than Intel?

This was meant as a joke: the GeForce FX series is very old (wiki) and is not longer used nowadays.
Did not want to confuse you :slight_smile:

Ahh… I didn’t get it. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

What about this?
Do you think this would do the trick?

Intel® Core™ i5-6200U processor Dual-core 2.30 GHz
15.6" HD (1366 x 768) 16:9 (also available with 1920x1080)
NVIDIA GeForce 940M with 2 GB Dedicated Memory
8 GB, DDR3L SDRAM (upgradable to 16GB)

Don’t know if it’s noisy though…

:eek: Anyone know about lap-top models known for low-noise? :eek: