Special Effect Designation.

So here is my dilemma. I’m working on a special effect using a particle system similar to an aura from Dragonball Z. I have the particle system set up, but when I went through the node setup, it looked like this.

Here is the node setup.

So my question is this. Is there a way to maybe concentrate the wavy look to just the object and not the whole scene or is that too much of a reach?

I’m a bit unclear as to what you’re after. You’d like the particles to be visible only on the sphere? If that’s the case you can adjust the particle system or do it through render layers in the compositor. Care to elaborate?

Yeah, I would like the particles on only appear around the sphere. If it can be done through the compositor, I would love to hear your approach through that method.

The compositor method would go something like this:

Separate your particle system, sphere and background layer into different render layers.

Create a mask from the sphere layer and add a gaussian blur on top of it (however big you want the aura to extend around the sphere).

Use the mask on the particle system layer.

Mix the new masked particle system back onto the original sphere layer using an alpha over node or you might find another node that suits your taste better.

Put this mix over your background layer.

Voila! Hope that helps. Cheers.

So this is what I ended up with. I don’t think I’m doing this right. Where did I go wrong?

Here is a very basic example. Make sure you deselect ‘sky’ on your sphere and particle render layers. You can then use the alpha channel for your masks. Getting a nice effect will require some experimenting with gaussian blur combinations. Good luck!

So that’s where I went wrong. I’ll give it a try.