Crawling in the snow.

This is an image I made a few weeks ago.
I know it sucks, but what could I do to improve it?

Hi! I think you should balance the image better. The sky is just empty, so you shouldn’t put so much of it on the image. You could aim at the ground, give the feeling he climbed a high cliff and is now looking at some mountains at the background. Fill the image.
Liked the idea! I haven’t seen too much snow in my life but I like the texture you gave to it.

Ok, I’ll fill the scene up.
Happy to get people help me get better renders. :slight_smile:
I have right now about 10 cm/ 0.3 feet snow in my backyard and where-ever I look outside, so I’m not really happy with the snow,
but that doesn’t really matter cuz if other people think it’s good, I’m OK with it. :stuck_out_tongue:

What if I placed a plane on the sky and the guy would be reaching for it?

I agree, the composition is a bit extreme, too much sky, way too little of the hands. Try incorporating rule of thirds. Also, the texture of the mittens looks a bit off. Maybe instead of fur, just add a kind of fabric texture to the mittens.

Ok, I’ll try improving the image

The image is not interesting (meaning, won’t keep the attention of the average person) because 1. it’s not clear what’s happening and 2. there is no drama.
As much as people say they don’t like “drama” we really crave it (people are screwed up but let’s not digress :stuck_out_tongue: ). The main reason we watch a movie or an image is drama and conflict.
Another reason to spend some time looking at something is that it is beautiful, appealing, powerful, shiny etc. so when you’re presenting a character or a car you can try to get away with just that. But with an image like yours you probably want to keep the viewer with some kind of (dramatic) story.

For the snow, I think a good edit would be to shrink the speckles, and add a fine bump map to give it some texture. This is just opinion, but I think such hairy gloves should have a good amount of snow stuck to them at this point. A good challenge would be to make them look like knit wool gloves (also with snow stuck to the palms and side).