CryEngine goes free (source code included), toss it on the pile

That’s just about every commercially available game engine at this point.

Well, I’ve seen enough commercial game engine threads on BA to know where this is going…

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/colbert-popcorn.gif

I guess they all fear the potential of BGE :eyebrowlift:

Or it must be something else, they want to attract a userbase, and grow larger then the others to become the next game engine; they’re using a survival tactic to stay in business. Personally i think the tactic could as well backfire, unless they change from a closed source company to a complete opensource company. Thats not often done, Blender did it once; and i find it to be one of the most remarkable business stories of all time.

The BGE sucks! Remove it now!!

Just kidding. This is both expected and kind of unexpected. CryEngine felt like one of those beasts that would never come close to free/source code status, but I guess you could sense something was a bit strange when Amazon licensed the engine for Lumberyard with source code included.

Then again CryEngine doesn’t really have a reputation for being easy to use so it’ll be interesting if it can pull people away from UE4/Unity.

Well yeah that is a factor. But I even so free does not make the other apps better. Cry is still top of the heap for visuals in my opinion. So if that matters (and it does to me) then it is worth learning. And now the playing field levels. So it is all the more reason to try it out.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/ALalVMOVR8Qw/200_s.gif

LOL !

You know, I really do think the BGE is scary to the big 3 (Ue4 unity5 and crytech)
but Godot is scarier * at the moment.

the bge could be far greater (it has so many tools you can steal from blender)

but no one has quite merged the hydra so the multiple heads of blender fight for attention.

Crytech looks amazing, I just don’t like the code languages.

Python feels like hot choco and warm fuzzy slippers.

BPR, I had a sophisticated answer for you, but I think others have already wasted too much of their time on you so here’s the most relevant part:

Don’t you ever implicate pandas in your cause! Pandas don’t care about game engines!
:no::wink:

Daniel

http://www.y8.com/tags/panda … sure about that ??

It seems like the site is live now: https://www.cryengine.com/

I forgot to ask this, but why did they skip IV and go straight to CryEngine V? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: or not. Ninja maintenance. :spin: I hope I didn’t break the site when trying to register.

Edit2: getting an error when I try to create an account (username already exists) but I can’t log in (user doesn’t exist). Not very impressed…

Does the cry engine come with premade enemies and vehicles?But you have to pay 9.90 a month.That is the catch to use the engine.

Pretty sure it’s purely a business decision rather than benevolence. With Unity and Unreal 4 free to develop with, they probably worried about being left behind.

what the…amazon will probably have something to say since they paid so much for the exclusive license. the comments say humble bundle are offering a bundle of assets for cryengine. ohh well maybe now amazon will get some free code out of the deal.

SOLUTION - Activate Visual styles (windows7)

I cant even login!

For Amazon it’s never been about the engine itself, it’s about selling their server technology to game developers. Also the benefit of Lumberyard is the completely open license that allows you sell and make games without any kind of royalty whatsoever. Amazon also seems to be a bit more receptive towards making the engine more user friendly while historically CryTek has been very adamant about keeping their engine as obtuse as possible. I’m not saying they made it that way deliberately just that as programmers their priroty probably wasn’t to make development easier for artists.

If you look at the hellblade dev blogs you will see what the future of game development is imo. Small teams outputting high quality AAA-like games that rely heavily on the tool allowing them to do that. Unreal has really focused over the years on making their tool powerful and easy to use by small teams on limited budgets and resources but still need high quality graphics. If CryTek can do the same then they have a winner. They also need more cross-platform support for the editor. One of the reason why Unity is where it’s at is it’s cross platform support.

Either way at this point is you want to make a game there is no excuse. Download an engine and get to it.

Same issue, tried for 3 days straight.

Maybe there’s much traffic… initially i couldn’t log in either, but it worked a day or two later… :stuck_out_tongue:

But you have to pay 9.90 a month for the forum.That is the catch to use the engine right?Blender has blenderartist.org which is free.

"Same issue, tried for 3 days straight."Ok so it turn out that they have to send you an email before you could download and login. Also Cryengine V requires, that you install VS 2015.

No, no it´s really not. I sincerely doubt it´s even on their radar…