Under the Sea

Hi,

So first, let me say “Thank You,” this community has been crucial in my blender learning path. Seriously.

So, I wanted to convert one of my 2D drawings in to a animation. I know he’d benefit from texturing, but I’m trying to budget quality with efficiency for an animation schedule.

Here is the 3D rendering, that I would love feedback on:

The animation is a simple 10 second loop, planning on more, but if you’re interested, it can be seen here: https://youtu.be/ALGsE_wiQlM

Looks very cool! Really like the style and the mood of the scene. Animation also looks very cool! Some slight procedural texturing on the guy might actually do I think. The lighting on him also doesn´t completly fit the background in my opinion, with the light rays coming from the top. He is only being lit from the right side.

I love the way the light from his lamp plays off his suit! There’s a nice volumetric lighting coming from the top, any way to make it interact with him as he’s descending?

Nice, I began modeling a cartoony diver just like this one time. Never got anywhere though.
The skinning on his inner thighs looks a bit odd, try smoothing it out.
The metal on the helmet doesn’t look like metal. Tweaking the glossiness should be enough
If you want to really sell the underwater-feeling you should have some caustics in the light from above. For a scene like this it should be enough to just have a animated texture on a spotlight above him. like this

First of all, thanks for everyones input. Very helpful.

Thanks for this idea! I was trying to keep render times down, hence some of the simplicity, but this is a really efficient method!

I agree - nice animation - works well to giving some character but he metal needs to be more glossy and the inner thigh thing looks weird…

Really good! Specially the lightning and the bubbles. Perhaps, the legs look a little weird, but perhaps it’s only because of the pose.

nice shading, perhaps a little more leg/arm movement/paddle in the animation?