Updated Chess Sim

It’s Chess. Anything you can do in Chess can be done in this.

There’s an error in the instructions regarding saving and loading

To save/load make a folder called ‘chessSaves’ and make sure it’s in the same location as where you saved the .blend

More info in .blend

Attachments

blenderChess.blend (3.37 MB)

Be sure to right click and open the extracted file with blender (never compressed a file before so that might be the cause of this)

Chess Simulator

Attachments

Nice work!

is there a AI or it’s 2 people only or?

youtube / developer log ?

tell us all about it.

BTW you can choose ‘Compress’ in the save options, makes the file just as small as zipping AFAIK

Man, I would have posted more info but had to keep rewriting since I couldn’t get the upload to work for about a week…

At the moment, purely two player game; no AI. But the first time I made this, you could make it choose a valid move at random. Usually ends up with just the Kings bouncing around the board. I’ll attach the .blend, I think it’s pretty cool. It’s more or less fully functional, just uncheck property ‘randomMoves’, which is held by empty object ‘game’.

As for log… nothing like that. If I thought that anyone would actually be interested, I think I would have. I can talk for hours about this stuff but I always feel like I’m boring whoever is listening!

I’ve attached the first version of this game (I guess that’s kind of a log right?)
I had a lot of fun with this one. But in the end, I found it very sterile and lifeless. It was just chess. It worked. I met my goal of recreating Chess, but it didn’t feel like a game. Also, it felt like all of my hard work was forever stuck behind the scenes, not able to be appreciated.

So, I abandoned my original Chess game and made this one from scratch. This time, I wanted a more asymmetrical look, with physical weighted pieces. This was entirely different than the first version, but I was more familiar with Python now.

Once I caught up with my original progress (moving, attacking, castling, promotion, checkmate) I felt bored again. For a while, I just made weird little applets that were more visual. I took what I learned from that and added the colors you see in the game now. I was constantly (CONSTANTLY) trying to get an object to shatter but always ran into something. Then one day I made a breakthrough and got a cube to shatter upon impact (I’ll attach this one too). So, I went to work on making the pieces breakable. I had to delve into the world of bpy, which was pretty scary. You can see some of the bpy scripts I used to help me in the making of the game (fracture0 - 2.py were used to quickly create a shattered version of a given object that is ready to use in-game and promoCopy.py was used to make copies of a piece and give each one a unique name)

If you want to see how the breaking of objects works, look at the blend file ‘myFirstFracture’. If you’re familiar with python then you should be able to get an idea of how it works

One day I learned how to create .txt files. With that information I created the save and load functions (I still have some work to do there)

That’s about all I can remember (besides pulling my hair out) as far as milestones

Attachments

oldChess.blend (3.12 MB)myFirstFracture.blend (547 KB)

Nice! I will try when I can. I really like chess:)

Thanks! I’ve updated the attachment so it should run just fine now :smiley:

So, I will try and remember to download this tonight

I know how it used to feel when people did not download my stuff

Avout the fracture, that sounds very intersting,

Do you use a network socket to pass data to bpy and back to bge like agoose?

A hack to subivide a group of faces in game would be amazing, also, a merge verticies command, and you could single handedly free up modeling inside the bge…

ok! I see what you mean by fracturing

I thought you were using the collision callback to get a hitPoint and using that to ‘slice up’ a mesh and return the pieces with BPY.

thank you for playing, i really appreciate it!

that would be crazy if i could do that dynamically. i just wish i knew about networking and stuff like what you were saying.

i just figured out a effective workaround. all of them break 4 ways (2 - 5 pieces) based on who attacks them

id like to see some of your stuff. as i learn more about python it lets me read other peoples code :slight_smile:

hey adrian! what did you think of the chess sim?

It doesn’t seem to work:(