Does blender always crash wen you try to render big images on a 32 bit OS?

OK, quick question. I’ve been trying blender on a very old computer recenty, a windows xp 32 bit system*. I’ve also tried in it a 32 bit linux operating system**. Both worked fine but seemed to crash whenever I tried to render a really large image. Blender on these systems happily worked with some huge and highly detailed models, rendered them and composited some lens flares/lens distortion effects perfectly at 1920x1080 and at 1000x700, but when I tired it at 3840x2160 or 2000x1400 it rendered out the image but crashes the moment it got to the compositing phase. Is this problem common to all 32 bit operating systems. Personally I’ve always run the 32 bit version of blener, but usually on 64 bit systems, on these systems it renders without issue. Is this issue common to all 32 bit operating systems?

This happened with blender 2.65a but I gues the same applie to later versions as well.

Thanks

*this machine had an old and weak procesor…
**…but this machine has some pretty fast and modern hardware, infact when this same machine is run with a 64 bit windows 8 OS on it it renders fine and has none of these crashes.

Check how much RAM you are using, you may be running out due to the 32bit limitation

Nope, i submitted bug reports last year to help blender render extremely large images (42k by 21k was our target resolution)

I get it with animations. Seems to happen a certain number of frames in. You’d think it’d do some garbage cleaning before going to the next frame, but nope. Sometimes I’ll get 30 frames in, other times 5. Depends on what it’s doing in the scene. (And I’ve set it to render in a different window and locked the UI. Which also affects memory usage.)

At least I’m rendering to frames so I can pick up where it left off. Only thing is I have to babysit the computer or it’ll just sit for hours non-productively wherever it got stuck. (Not so good for overnight rendering.)

However I haven’t run into this with one big still scene. Then again I haven’t tried anything too crazy or fancy.

I think the only other thing that will choke the 32-bit version easily is particles. I have crashed it fairly easy while trying stuff with hair or grass. Not sure if that’s total memory or some other ceiling involved in calculation.