Adventurers

Hey.
Done day in a supermarket magazine I found this great image of gummy bears (attached to the next post) and I immediately got creative and started sculpting a gummy bear. I spent a lot of time trying to find out how to build the material, but I ended up liking it. It does not work with every kind of lighting, but I think it works in this case.
To make the gummy bears look small, I used shallow DoF, a high focal length and a lot of floating dust particles.

The background is made in Photoshop. I used the mist pass from blender and some random dust and particle images to create it.

Some other gummy bear images: ^^
http://fudder.de/uploads/tx_nidagnewsteaser/20130215-Fotolia_30353683_L.jpg
http://img.fotocommunity.com/gummibaeren-treff-an-loch-9-23197e2c-3407-4075-9416-d5483d48c6b7.jpg
http://img.fotocommunity.com/gummibaeren-c-262f2f9b-c7a3-4d06-870a-f6444c597cc6.jpg

Alternative yellow-ish edition.
I think I like the blue one more, while this one looks kind of messy compared to the other one. However, it does support the story a bit more.

Models used:

Thanks!

Attachments

Inspiration:

Another close up:

I obviously have huge problems getting rid of the noise.
For these renders I used branched path tracing with 400 samples (4000 for volume & 800 for glossy).
I think the noise is caused by the volume of the gummy bears, but I’m not sure how to get rid of it without raising the samples to some ridiculously high number.
Does anybody have some tips?

Attachments

cannot help you with the noise but i really like your image

What do you mean by volume? Glossy mat also increases the noise sadly, this is one of cycles issues. I see caustics as well, man that increases fireflies like crazy!

Have you thought of adding sss or translucency? The gummy bears seem a little rough.

Here is a link that might be helpful! http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/7-ways-get-rid-fireflies/

All that said, i really am loving the idea. It’s cute and fresh! I’d like to see the end result soon!!

Nice ! The shader is actually quite good. You should give the render a lot more samples and work a bit more on post processing and light compositing.

Thank you marinana

For the bears’ material I used (for instance) yellow-ish glass with a green volume absorption - that’s why I’m talking about volume :). I found that it gave the material this nice difference in colors depending on the thickness of the object. I’m not sure if that’s what sss is for, while I am not very familiar with the shader, but I will take a look at it and see what I can do with it.
Thank you for the tip with the caustics - I haven’t even thought about it.
Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback Yanal Sosak - Thank you!

Thanks Fred!
I will do my best and be back with some updated renders with more samples/less noise soon.

You may have already seen this article on blendernation.com.
I’m really curious how well the cycles denoiser will work :slight_smile:

And your scene is again, very nice. The shader on the gummy bear looks totally realistic.

Great render.

How did you pack those gummybears into the bowl? Manually?
I never figured out how to fill a bowl with an object automatically so it doesnt intersect.

Oh, a denoiser like that would be sooo nice to have! That is some really impressive results!
Thank you strapazie! ^^

Thanks Adam! :slight_smile:
I used the rigid body simulation system for the majority of them. It took some time to simulate, but I got a pretty good result. Some of the gummy bears were intersecting, so I baked the simulation to a keyframe and fixed the issues manually. The top ones are placed completely by hand though.

Just a tiny update. Sorry, but I have not had much time to work on the render, but I was working a bit on the bump mapping some days ago and I would like to share it with you. :slight_smile:

Attachments

Your image is very good. I see this easily hitting the top row. Killing glossy artifacts can be a pain. Have you tried using these items in the Render Settings window?

Hopefully that helps.

Again, this is a very good image and I couldn’t help but check it out.

Well done!

Dan

Attachments

Wow! Okay, thanks Dan!

• And thank you for the tip. I had already set both clamp settings to 5, but I hadn’t touched the ‘Filter Glossy’ setting though.

Oh ok now i see what you mean. BTW here is a little information on SSS
http://www.mrbluesummers.com/3510/3d-tutorials/3dsmax-mental-ray-sub-surface-scattering-guide

Oh, nice -Thanks Yanal Sosak! I tried to implement the sss shader, but I couldn’t make it look right. - However, trough some fine tuning I made the material less rough, as you suggested, and I think it improves the material a fair bit.

I finally got a new render I am happy with!
Most of the noise was caused by caustics (as you guys told me ^^, thanks). I used the glossy filter setting to get rid of most of it, but I also realized that I was using way to few light bounces (Default settings). The gummy bears in the bowl looked kind of weird before, because the light did not reach all the way trough the ‘clump’ of gummy bears. So I raised the total light bounces to 64 and got a better result.

The post processing has been improved a bit too. I added much more contrast -mostly just darkened the image. I also desaturated it a little bit and added a blue tint to it to make the oranges and yellows pop a bit more. However, I am not sure if the orange floor takes to much focus because of the blue though… :confused:

Main:

2200 x 1080
1450 samples

Close Up 1:

990 x 1080
1000 samples

Close Up 2:

950 x 1080
1000 samples

Attachments

Close Up 3:

900 x 1080
1000 samples

Attachments

Shader looks definitly better, i like the new results.

As for the sss, i’m not surprised it is a very complicated shader, you might want to give it a try on another project because once you learn how to use it, it can be very helpful. That is how some artists make amazing character renders for example. Infact alot of objects have sss to a point in real life!

Anyway, keep it up!

Thanks!

Yea, I will do that. I have mostly made cars - and just in general hard surface modelling - during the time I have been using blender and I would really like start exploring some other/techniques as well. And really thanks for the link! It gave me a much better idea about what it is and how it works. :slight_smile:

Great stuff… Amazing!

Thank you Blade and Saif!

I think the image is as good as it gets and I will re-render it next week and post it on finished project.
Saif, thanks for the link to the denoiser! - I will check it out. :slight_smile:

Loving the closeup shots your doing Dan80