Rotation Constraints and Rigging Issues

I’m having issues with some bones and empties,especially regarding rotations constraints.

I’m modelling a robot for the lack of a better term and the machine in question features a inner jaw and a costume jaw. Now the costume jaw is meant to have less range then the inner jaw. Basically meaning that while the inner jaw’s teeth can touch together the outer costume will stop after a certain amount of degrees.

I assumed Rotation constraints would work the best, having the costume jaw and inner jaw parented to the same bone, but having the costume jaw have a rotation constraint that stops it from moving past a certain point. Things would have to be ‘local’ in the owner space as the entire head is meant to be able to move. I tried applying the constraint and this occurred

It does similar stuff when I restrict z aswell and when I restrict Y and try pull it down it goes diagonal and other spastic ways.

So what the hell is going on because i’ve been trying to fix it for 2 days now.Parenting a empty to the bone and then constraining it make the empty do a similar thing so that doesn’t work either. IS there anyway to get this to work in any form (Having the costume jaw stopping after a certain amount of degree while having the robot jaw still be able to move until the teeth can touch.)

PS: i even remade that jaw bone and it still causes the same issue.Oh and the position it is in the image is its resting position aswell.

Pss: the side by side images should be bigger than the one in the post, if the text around the modelling space is important.

Attachments

One solution:

Have two bones, one for the main jaw, one for the costume jaw, parent meshes as appropriate. Then set up a Transform constraint on the costume jaw so, for example it only rotates 3 degrees for every 5 of the main jaw, or make them equal but only over a range of rotations, experiment with extrapolate function so the costume jaw bone stops after so many degrees of the main jaw. Or you can use drivers with Limit Modifiers to achieve the same result, me, I prefer drivers, but Transform constraints are easier to use.

Let me know if you cannot crack this and I will make a simple mockup armature for you.

Cheers, Clock.

Oh by the way “What the Hell” remarks don’t go down too well here if you want help. :no:

Thank you for the response,i had managed to fix it with a secondary bone moving it with its own rotational constraints.