Starting an Online School/Community - Instructors and Students Needed

Project Introduction
Name: School of 3D
Domain Owned: www.schoolof3d.com - under construction
Goal: A Subscription Based Learning and Production School/Community

A little about my background. I have taught 3D Animation and Game Design at a technology school for 8 years. In the meantime I have had a vision of something I wanted to achieve. Affordable quality instruction for creative media and digital art. I wish to create a school that offers instruction while at the same time has students work in real production pipelines and real projects. These projects could range from short films to game development. I am currently working on the specifics but at the time am leaning towards a subscription based site. For example a small monthly fee between $20 and $30 USD would allow you to take classes and participate in projects under development. Depending on classes completed and skill level you could work in real production environments. These real world projects could be for open projects or shared profit projects. The setup allows students to earn some income while learning and further increase their portfolio and work ethic / experience by working on real world projects.

What I would like to know is would there be interest in this idea? If so leave comments and feedback. If i get the interest I am hoping for I will start taking resumes and portfolios next week for instructors. Then going further with how the school could be setup will fall shortly after.

Attachments

I would be interested in this. However, I have 0 knowledge or history of anything in art. 2D or 3D outside of MS paint.

I would be interested both as a student and a teacher. I always like to help with what I know and I always like to know more.

I would love to help with this either as an instructor or a student, as an instructor I believe that I could help if the site had a written tutorial on certain aspects of game development or on how to develop scenes and such.

I could also help with marketing if you would like

This also sounds interesting to me. I am interested as a student, and I may be able to help in some areas of teaching.

I would like to see where this could go.

Thanks for feedback so far. I wasn’t sure when this got approved so im late to getting back to viewing the post. Lets split this up a little bit if you are interested in being an instructor and believe you have something to offer please pm and be prepared to showcase some of your work. If your interested in being a student or in this project in general please pitch some ideas on what you would like the site to offer if you were to pay for a small subscription.

So here is kind of an overview of what i envisioned. Some topics I would like to cover initially for pipelines would be:

Short Films
Game Design
VFX

Once we had students who had worked through training and met criteria to advance those students would be assigned to a development team. That team will then work together to make deadlines and sprints for whatever project they were assigned to. Working in teams like this will give them direct industry experience as well as allow them to work on production work for their demo reels. Obviously it will take a lot to plan out how to achieve this and to also be effective but I believe it can be done with the right people behind this project.

I added the landing page for the website today. I would like to start by getting instructors for the following topics:

Introduction to Blender
Modeling for Games
Character Design

If you are interested please pm me. I also would like to host a webinar or live chat for perspective students and instructors to brainstorm on ideas in the near future.

I Would love to learn how to made 2D or 3D art. I have been developing a game in Unity for two years now as the project manager so I know unity pretty well and I understand how everything comes together. But I just wish I could actually contribute stuff other than just manage a bunch of people. Even if it is just making UI graphics for panels and stuff.

I am sure you already know about them, but check out https://cgcookie.com, in order to know what is already out there and what you need to do in order to set yourself apart. (Just an idea, thought it might be helpful.)

Also, on another note, an idea would possibly be to team up with some indie developers (serious indie developers) and see if maybe you can create a partnership, where your students get experience by working with those teams, and the teams get some “free labor” in some sense. Almost like an internship. The students will be able to get a feel for the workflow of working on actual teams with deadlines and such. . . Again just a thought I figured I would suggest really quick, may or may not be an actual good idea. Best of luck. . . sounds like a great adventure, and also a great business opportunity!