Advice on dedicated blender pc build

Hi,
I was wondering if I could get some advice on the following build, I’m not a tech head and I’m currently working on an old mac pro and have got to the point where I need to upgrade as my system is 5 years old and a clunker. I’ve been reading up a lot and am getting more confused as I read more and more on the subject! One thing I have decided to do is swap to a PC as most advice seems to point away from mac for overall performance, anyways I’d really appreciate any feedback on the list below.

I’m getting a custom build and spending quiet a bit (approx £4,000), the build I was getting is as follows:

Motherboard - Asus X99 Motherboard.
CPU - Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Unlocked, Haswell-E, 8 Core, 3.0GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo, 40PCI-E Lanes, 20MB Cache, Retail [Extreme Overclock - CPU overclocked upto 4.2GHz].
Fan - Noctua NH-U14S - Quiet Performance Air Cooler.
Memory - 64GB (8x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX, 2400MHz.
GPU - 2 x 12GB EVGA NVIDIA Titan X SC.
Power Supply - 750W Corsair RMi, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold - Required for dual graphics cards.
Storage - 256GB Samsung SM951, PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe, 2150MB/s Read, 1260MB/s Write, 100K IOPS and 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s, 97K IOPS.
OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Thats roughly it, like I said above I’m not overly tech savvy so it would be great to get advice on the above.

Thanks in advance
Rob

Honestly, I would wait for the Tesla P100. If you are willing to wait a year.
Other then that you are probably going to want to buy a bigger power supply. When having your CPU and GPU running at 100% for a render job you are going to want redundant power.

Also note that the Titan X is acting slow in Blender see https://developer.blender.org/T45093

If you do go with the P100 option do everything else and use your old gpu for a year and limit yourself to CPU rendering.

thanks for the reply and advice Blendify, much appreciated.

“as most advice seems to point away from mac for overall performance” Understandably… but who pointed you to win for Blender? Blender on Win is notoriously slower than os osx or linux…

I’m long time osx user, and just did got a PC for “real” work - but with centos… (Which is in my case almost double as fast as on win7) (But i would not recommend centos if you dont know how to use a command line…)

I did go the route of buying an “old” (2013) hp z820 which i’m now in the process of updating “a bit”. This is more of Server grade Hardware, dual Xeon an so forth…

You seem to have made “your List” though. Which seem to be ok to me. I personally would be careful overclocking you cpu - Gamers only use 1-2 maybe up to 4 Cores. Rendering puts all your cores to their limit… Make some temperatures tests …

Make sure you check your Mainboard Manual for Memory configuration. I would leave some room so you might be able to upgrade in future.

Power Supply seems low. 2xGPU+CPU = 2*250+150= 650 Watt (roughly) and then you still need some Power for Mainboard and peripherals…

About reading leading to confusion - keep reading till it gets better… I had the same experience :wink: (Or ask more specific questions)