Target a force fied to make it act as a force-ray

Hi,
I am stuck with the force field manual pages, I just don’t get some things and I need your advice.

I want to animate a character that blasts away physics objects that are already distributed in the room (rigid-bodies, not particles) when she/he extends her arms. The impact of the force that the character emitts from the hands should be constrained along the axis he/she is aiming at - so it’s a force/wind beam or ray.

Imagine a room full of balloons. A character in the middle is arbitrarily aiming a hair-dryer in different directions. Whereever the hair-dryer is aimed the balloons get blown away from it. The other ballons (say, behind the character) are not affected by the hair-dryer’s air flow.

So far I tried the following force field types:

1. Force : trouble is that the emission center is spherical and the force emission is equally strong in all directions. I need only one specific direction / axis.

2. Wind : I only got wind blowing over the whole scene. Is there a way to limit the wind to a certain path? So that it’s only blowing “out of the source” but not over the whole scene?

Is a curve guided force field the way to go? So far I only saw it work on particles and it always seems to take ALL the particles to guide them from their source along the curve’s path, which is not what I need.

Thanks for you help!