Commercial bedroom - advice on realism

Hi all,

I’m making a bedroom rendering for an interior architect.
This is what I got so far, but he is not yet satisfied with the realism.

I need advice from someone who is making visulizations on pro level
to tell me what I could do more to make it look great and more real.

When it comes to assets (furniture and small stuff) I can’t change it.
Light is ambient light from the window on the left, and LED strip on the back panels.
It is all by what the project says.

I need help with making shaders better, postpro and this kind of stuff I think.

Rug under the bed is supposed to be silk/wool charcoal rug.
All the wood in the pic is white oak.
Colours of the bedding and fur on it must stay as they are also,
but maybe I can get them less saturated or less exposed and with some other shading.

Please help! :slight_smile:

Hi,

this is allready a pretty nice vizualisation!
IMO the biggest problem with the materials is the incorrect glossiness. I recommend you to go through the tutorials by Cynicat on this subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMpDTk3DTW8&list=PLlH00768JwqG4__RRtKACofTztc0Owys8
At least the wood should be more glossy with correct fresnel.
The result is still quite noisy - you should increase the samples.
The wood texture on the desk under the bed should be rotated horizontaly. White oak is much more brown than the one on your renders (https://www.google.cz/search?q=white+oak&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwx-bn8ZPMAhWDO5oKHXLiCuEQ_AUIBygB&biw=1471&bih=792#imgrc=tr46NjzQC_e6rM%3A) The same applies for the floor, i thing that the natural wood color would help.

The bedding - I think the main problem is that you overused the velvet shader. Try to mix the velvet with diffuse, it should look more natural and the colors won’t look that bad.

It seems to me that you use some DOF - for a wide shot like this I would switch it off completely. In real life you would use some high aperture anyway. Shallow DOF is good for detail shots.

The camera angle is weird - either rotate the camera so it faces the opposite wall or make it more like this:

Try to make a series of images of the same room - some wide angles, some crops and some detail shots. It is allways very difficult for the client to imagine how the room looks like from a single render. Wide shots like this make the room look bigger and the client can be unpleasantly surprised when he sees the room in real life.

I can also recommend this article:
http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/the-photographic-look/

In addition to that, the (cloth?) covering of the back wall and the bed looks too coarse, imho. If this is some kind of weaving pattern, the meshes must be gargantuan.

And indeed the noise grain leaves a kind of “dirty” impression, which you may not want in a commercial interior render.

BTW, if this is an ongoing commercial assignment, are you absolutely certain that it is a good idea to post your work in progress here? You have your customer’s permission to do so, right?

Thanks for your sugestions. I thought You will give me most critics about the silk rug :slight_smile:
Does it look ok?
I don’t feel it to be good but don’t know what to change for a better result…

@maraCZ

I didn’t use any DOF, and don’t need any more renderings of this space for this client.
This is just one view I need to be perfect :wink:

I tought too that white oak is more brown but I got suggestion from the architect:
“Make it much less yellow” and an example with white wood picture so I went this way. Maybe I was wrong :confused:

I’ll work with glossiness then. Thanks for the article Ill read it in the afternoon :wink:

@IkariShinji
When it comes to cloth Hmm now I see it too. The texture I used is pretty big and detailed, but after I scaled it on the UV it got new patterns visible probably due to big surface covered. I’ll try to make it more neutral.

Well I don’t have ND agreement.
This is just one render job to see what my capabilities are and maybe a longer cooperation for me.

Still, I for myself would always be very careful before breaking customer confidentiality…

Not having signed a NDA does not mean that your client is fine with seeing - more or less - his design posted across the internet, even more so if he is not satisfied with the result.

EDIT:
Ah, I see you now have at least watermarked the image to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry from using that image in HD for their purposes.