Texture Atlas, Tiled Map

Hello, I’m pretty new to Blender, worked myself through many tutorials and I just need basic modeling, which I think I can do at this point.
I work on games with Unity and want to create the map with Blender. The map should be somewhat tilebased, so I’d thought I create a grid mesh. I don’t want to import a new image texture for every face ( which are my squared tiles ) but rather a single image that contains all the possible tile images, similar to this:
http://www.blockstory.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/wysiwyg_imageupload_lightbox_preset/wysiwyg_imageupload/4891/textures.png
What’s the best workflow here? I want my game to look something like this:

So there’s lot of flat surfaces and it looks tilebased, but theres also some slopes in the game, but if I learn how to make a tilebased floor then I think I can do the rest. Is there a way to select a face and then select the tile image ( as part of a larger image, the texture atlas ) ? That would be the best workflow in my opinion. I don’t want to spend too much time UV unwrapping ( as I said, I’m pretty new, though I already learned a lot ).

Any ideas or useful links? I saw many tutorials about the blender basics and modeling etc., but texturing is really the problem it seems.

Thanks for your time.

Jan

bumping the thread

Good question, I also want to know how to do for performance issues.

If your mesh is based on a default Grid or copied from this Grid faces which all are equally square sized:

• select faces which you want a grass e.g. and U unwrap - Reset.
  • select all in UV editor (where you have your tile atlas image open) and scale, position on a grass tile.
    UV editor options Snap to Pixels and scaling using 2d cursor as a pivot which is placed on one corner where uv points are aligned with a texture helps a lot. Rotate aligned faces using 2d cursor Median Point option if needed.
    Select next batch of faces and do the same.
    Make sure texture has UV mapping set on Texture tab for the material.

You can paint tiles using same unwrap technique but scale to zero in uv editor and place selection on a pixel with needed color.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=102515