A line shader?

I do not know if it is the proper thread, this here, for asking about such a thing but I do not know where else to ask. If it is not the proper place let the moderators put the post to a proper section of the forum. It is about a line shader. It is the same thing that Freestyle does in rendering with the difference that this would be a bakeable shading on an object. Just a shader as is the ao shader but a shader that draws lines –in various thicknesses- on the edges of an object (with options for innerward and outward looking edges).

In other words a shader that will make it possible to produce thin decay and scratch lines on the sharp edges of the objects (in the cases of hard surface objects especially).

I know… you will speak about the ‘pointiness’ attribute in the nodes. I have made many experiments with it… it does not produce such a thing. It can not do such thin edges. It makes the work only in the cases of smoothly curved geometry (experiment for yourself and see it).

I think that it would be great to have such a shader. Imagine how many things could be achieved with it through various node combinations. Someone would achieve Substance painter like results inside Blender.

Do you have any visual references?
I assume ‘pointiness’ in this case can be used for masking an area where scratches would appear mixed with grungy/scratchy textures, manually drawn or at best procedurally made… as with an addition of Glints & Scratches

Still hoping :eyebrowlift:

No, the thing I do mean has nothing to do with the thing that the video shows. Look below, at the tutorial video’s 2.40 m. and you will understand what I mean. Look at the edges of the old photo machine’s metallic box, in the following link too. It constitutes a good explanation of the whole matter.