no underscores in filenames in 2.77

i want to know if theres a way to toggle the ability to have underscores instead of spaces in filenames.

What filenames? You set file names yourself, use underscores, not spaces.

This is an ‘old’ issue, in that naming conventions are divided into ‘human’ and ‘machine.’ Humans, read spaces on a page visually, but if you want a space in a computer, you press the “spacebar,” but there is no ‘character’ that appears. This can be a huge problem with computer communications, networking, render stations, etc., if you are unaware. Naming conventions that I was taught and I have taught others are very clear. Use them consistently and you will have no difficulties. Remember also, that UPPERCASE, and lowercase are different ascii characters and again, many ‘systems’ are case sensitive, as in Linux boxes on render stations, etc. Two-thirds of the traffic on the internet certainly goes through Linux servers. The naming conventions are, alpha-numeric characters only, along with the _ underscore, and the -hyphen. No other “funny” characters, as they are reserved for the machine code. That means, no !@#$%^&*(){+":;~=|][}/. or s p a c e s. You can use UPPERCASE only if you want to and it won’t be a problem on your own station, but may jam up when you post the files to your on file server, or shared drives, and someone can’t ‘find,’ them?? I use the hyphen to separate closely related words and the underscore for the ‘bigger’ breaks. As in mighty-oak_AO.png. Good luck, adopted these ‘rules’ and you will forestall a host of problems down the road.