trying to start out selling some models for games and shorts...

I don’t know where to start with quality control or where the best place to go is. I have a few that I would like to have reviewed though. This is one of them.

Attachments

—double post—

Not an expert but…
How am I supposed to hold this weapon and pull the trigger?
Also I can’t see the utility of some of screws… useless geometry surplus.

I see where you coming from at the useless geometry and Im gonna try and make them there for a reason but with holding and trigger pulling, it’s a bullpup weapon but I suppose I could extend the forward barrel and make a grip on it.

Thanks for the info and Im still looking for help with it.

The gun looks odd because of that tiny barrel.

For purely marketing purposes, you should add more shadow: Dramatic, hard lighting seems like the way to go for this model (purely an opinion, but I thing it would work better than the soft lighting you have right now). You don’t have to make parts of it black, but turn down the fill lamps.

For texturing, since the weapon looks pretty aged, I would add some worn edges (use sharpness). It’s your decision what material should be underneath the finish, but I think an anisotropic material would work well.

Hey man. I wish you good luck with your idea. Without trying to discourage you it seem to me that the 3D model market is really saturated, you need to stand out somehow. Have you given that some thought? Again, I hope you keep going and are successful but do your research and figure out your strategy!

Yeah actually I have but I need to start somewhere. I need to see what people need and try and develop my own style but thanks for the input!

Yeah probably I can see where you are coming from, I have a HDRI to light it right now but hard lights might do it better. and the anostopic is a great idea and ill give it a try and post my results.

The tris should be used where they are most effective. Save them for silhuett bevels on mainly reflective material.
You can save a ton of tris on not modeling everything in one connected mesh. The pipe would probably do fine with a 8 corner cylinder.
Remove all the unnecessary edge-loops.
Details like screw heads should be baked to a normal map.
Use a normal map to get details. Try to get some more variations of materials. Base your design on usability and get inspired by real things. Place scratches and dust where it’s most likely to be.

Maybe an idea to start with some free game developers, the kind of jobs that dont pay at all.
But it will give you experience and training, and it might bring you into contact with the right people (its mostly about the latest)
Those game creaters often share the same idea,… be warned though only a small few will eventually make it.

You know how to model

but your forms are a bit unbalanced

How about this,

you start converting a bunch of 2D weapon concepts(they’re actually just amazingly easy to find)
then eventually you’ll pick up on why they look so good

and the next time you make a gun
it’ll be more balanced.

first, dont show us triangulated meshes… they look messy… triangulating is the last thing you do before exporting for a game engien.

Wow! thanks for all the input! To respond to a few, I make most of my stuff for my brother who is a game developer and his dev friends, The wireframe render just came out as tris, it’s mostly quads but for some reason, it didn’t show like that. And I agree, my forms are pretty wack. I have been practicing and I love just surfing and fleshing out 2d concepts. Again thanks for all the input. I definitely need it.

I like the design, despite it not actually being practical. I would also add a bit of color variation as well, i.e. black, white and grey. Love the design though, best of luck selling these.