Linux and 2.77 oddity

Got a strange problem with my hardware/linux/blender setting:

I’m working on a character animation with a rig which uses shapes as bone representations.
Posing in pose mode was no problem so far with blender 2.76b on:
Win10, OsX, Linux Mint17.3, Mint 17.1, on different machines (PC, Mac, 2 Laptops with Linux)

Now I updated to blender 2.77:
Still, on Win, OsX, and on one Linux Laptop the file works fine.

On the second Laptop (Mint 17.3), it either crashes while editing in pose mode, or I can’t select the bones. While clicking, selection cycles through the whole bone stack. Switching off bone shape display sometimes helps, but then the problem comes back…
I installed Ubuntu Studio 14.04 on that second Laptop, but the problem remains.

I wonder whether this is something to do with the graphics card and some new programming in blender 2.77 ???
Why I suspect the graphics card is because the splash screen also doesn’t display properly, and the renders only get partially done.

Has anybody run into the same oddity?
Any help would be heavily appreciated, since that Laptop is my main workstation for abroad…

Seems not to be a bug, since on the other Laptop, 2.77 runs without problems.

Attachments

Is this still the same problem as the other, right?
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?396048-LINUX-and-Blender-2-77-weird-behavior

But is it the same laptop model with the same hardware?

Have you thought to report the problem? It seems that you have already done many tests to try to solve the problem. In any case, they will say whether or not this is a Blender bug.

In the report you includes information on everything you’ve tried to try to solve the problem, and also information about your video hardware (just in case). If your laptop is one of those who has dual vga (intel-nvidia) tell them which of them are you using and what driver. Tell them if the problem occurs in any scene, and shares a blend sample file there.

Thanks YAFU for the reply!

Yes I thought to report it as a bug. But then taking the same file onto another laptop with Mint 17.1 and blender2.77a running, there was no issue with selecting bone shapes in pose mode. Weird…
So I guess it is a hardware problem of my primary laptop and 2.77a. Strangely enough on this same machine, handling the scene in b2.76 works perfectly fine. The display problem though remains (pics above).

So still, maybe enough important for the devs to have a look at…

I’m having other issues transitioning to Linux. From what I can tell (not a programmer, but from where it works or doesn’t) somethng about how Blender communicates to the non-proprietary drivers under Linux isn’t supported correctly. And the bigger problem under Linux is the manufacturers have even worse legacy support. (AMD isn’t doing any favors here.) I’m noticing it big time, as stuff that wasn’t broken in XP isn’t working under Linux. And I don’t have $$$ to throw at the fix like many would suggest. (Part of why I chose the 'nix route rather than a Windows “upgrade”. And any $ I somehow do get is for other stuff right now.)

I haven’t run into terribly big crashy stuff yet, but mostly display issues. Things like alpha channel grid not showing.

It’s funny as I don’t have these problems with Gimp or Krita, but I’m not sure how they transmit info to the driver as compared to Blender. (They’re 2D rather than 3D.)

However the transition to Linux isn’t so terrible. I’m really liking Mint 17.3, just needs one or two rough spots ground down and polished out. Blender happens to catch and rub against one of 'em.

I must disagree here. Normally Linux does not exhibit special problems with drivers. NVidia situation seems a bit better as AMD driverwise. The propietäry drivers are mandatory for gpgpu anyway, dunno how much 3/2D functions are supported with the open drivers. Normally these are okay for light use, but sure not for CG working situations.

But you must drop the thinking newest drivers are always the best. Often they introduce regressions or drop unintentianally older gpu types because these are not well tested anymore. Same shows up in windows too and on Mac you are bound to what the systemrevision gives anyway. ( exception: NV Quadro drivers supporting some consumer gpu too )

For the actual problem i suggest go back to the 352.63 on NVidia, which has shown its robustness in LTS distros already.
Another reason could be just a little change in Blender which leads to mismatch a special gpu capability. Report detailed to the tracker, maybe a workaround is possible.

Jens