Need a realistic realistic 3D hairy tail for a Monster

Hello!

I’m new to this community… I joined because I really need help. I got to a place with my project where I am completely stuck. I’m trying to finish my college thesis movie called From Under The Bed. The main character is a monster named Rufus and as of now, Rufus is missing a tail.

I shot this movie back in 2012, while I was still in college and basically was experimenting. Didn’t plan the shoot very well and ended up with a badly shot, messy green screen that was impossible to fix. This made me give up finishing the project for a few years. I recently got back at it and made my way with the tedious rotoscoping in Moca. But those hairs were impossible to rescue and i ended up completely losing the tail. But without it the monster looks sad and incomplete. And this is where I need help. I want to add a tail to the monster. A realistic 3D tail that moves when he moves.

Basically I have one long shot - 00:01:02:15 (one minute, two seconds and 15 frames long) of the Monster looking at the mirror and showing different reactions. I used a puppet shot on green screen. The image shows the different stages:

A - Original green screen footage
B - Same shot with roto on it (tail is missing, because the puppeteering rod was going in and out of the tail)
C - Composition of what the final show would look like - the monster’s point of view, looking at his reflection in the mirror.
D - what the tail looked like originally.

Mainly looking for volunteer work, as I have no budget for this but willing to pay a small fee. Will give credit on screen and on IMDB, of course. The movie (still unfinished) is going to the Cannes Film Festival market this May 2016… I plan to screen it to as many festivals as I can afford.

If you’re interested in helping me with this project, please, contact me at:
[email protected]

Rufus and I thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Best, Tanya :slight_smile:

Attachments

hm i think the workflow you go trough is wrong, the hair wont easily fill your 2d movie (you would need to maks on a frame by basis).
The pupet looks nice, i sugest doing it the thunderbirds way, use wires to animate the puppet, so you can have a better green screen.
Or better dont use a green screen at all but only wires, you would only need to find a way to filter out the wires, but that might be less work. as compared a robotic character / a fully 3d animated character which i would recommend if you want to get a good result.

Thank you for the reply!
We actually decided to go a different route and it worked for us.
I appreciate the advice :slight_smile: