How do I set zoom levels for my scroll wheel?

Not sure why but sometimes when I try to scroll in slightly, in edit mode. a single notch click of my scroll wheel zooms me way past the object I am trying to enlarge. Is there a way to set the zoom increments so that when I scroll the wheel it doesn’t zoom in quite so fast or so so far?

Thanks for any help with this.

I could not find any thing in preferences but what I do to make that work better for me is the period/del key on the numbpad
to zoom to selection. When in perspective view the zoom is fast but it can clip the model. In orthographic view sometimes when zooming in it slows down when it does I hit the zoom to selected(period/del) or rotate the screen a bit, then it starts zooming faster. When zooming in orthographic view you can get really close to your model without it clipping it out of the view.
Hope this helps.

Thanks darkcgi. It helped slow the zoom. But when I hit the period key on the numpad it only centered the selected vertex, in this case, but did not zoom it at all. and the Del key simply opened the option to delete. But that advice helped slow down the zoom so it didn’t zoom beyond the view. Much appreciated.

In preferences turn on auto depth, and hold your pointer over the part you’re interested in when you zoom. At least on my box that makes zoom work nicely.

Thanks SkpFX I will try that. I was wondering what “auto Depth” was.