Texture painting stops showing up in the rendered viewport after saving UV image

This has been bothering me for days and I can’t seem to find a solution to this exact issue. I’ll explain it in steps:

1. I have 3 windows open: RENDERED viewport, SOLID viewport, and UV Image editor.
  2. I create a new UV image, assign it to my image texture node, connect UV map node to texture.
  3. I go into texture paint mode in BOTH the 3D View and UV Image editor.
  4. I am able to paint in any viewport or the image editor and see it in real time across the board, which is exactly what I want. I alternate depending on the texture/angle/object.

(Here is where the problem starts)
  5. If I save the UV image I’ve worked on and later reopen it in the UV image editor, I can only see real-time texture painting in the SOLID viewport…it won’t show up in the RENDERED viewport in real time anymore.

If I switch the rendered window to solid, the painting shows up. As soon as I enter rendered again, it’s stuck on what it was before I saved. The only way I’ve been able to keep the painting to show up in my rendered viewport real-time is to never switch to another UV image or close the program. If I save and close my project, whatever I did in the UV editor is wiped away…unless I save the UV image, which then causes the problem if I wish to continue.

So the problem is getting my texture painting to show up real-time in the rendered viewport once the initial UV image has been saved. Does the file need to be saved in a specific format to allow continued painting? I feel like I’ve tried them all, but maybe I’m missing something here. The only guides I’ve found are problems with getting the painting to show up in the solid, texture, or material viewport…nothing about the rendered.

A few things I’ve already tried:
Re-opening the saved UV in both the image editor and image texture node in both orders.
Re-plugging in the UV map node to the image texture in combination to above.
Selecting all the faces in edit mode and then going to texture paint.

I hope I explained the problem clear enough. This is driving me nuts, but I have a feeling it’s some “duh” solution I’m not seeing…any insight would be much appreciated. Let me know if more details are needed.

Attachments

To reiterate: my problem is NOT getting a saved UV image to show up in the rendered viewport…it’s getting any further changes/painting to show up in real time as it did before I saved in the rendered viewport.

Hi

Have you - Automatically pack into Blend - ticked. In topmenu - file / External Data.

If not try to tic it…Remember to save Your startup file Ctrl - u to save it…:slight_smile:

If it not help…Try to upload Your Blend file…Meybe there are a Blenderhead there can sovle it.

Tai

Thanks Taipan, it was a combination of that option not being ticked and not knowing about packing/unpacking in general. Mystery solved!