[SOLVED] Trying to animate arch build progression

SOLVED Thank you for your help

I am trying to find somewhere to get started on learning how to create an animation that I can use to animate an arch being built. I’m wanting to use this as my studio logo animation and cannot find any information on how to do this. Anyone that can point me to a tutorial or the process to go about doing this would be great. I have created a photo showing the progression I want.

Currently I have a 3D model created in Blender that I’m trying to use at the very least as a base reference.

It seems like it would be a fairly simple animation but it unfortunately has me stumped. Thank you :smiley:

stc=1

Your photo didn’t upload.

Particulars… Who or what is doing the building? What is the arch supposed to be made of? How will the person/machinery/whatever construct the arch? How long is the animation supposed to be?

If you want a character or machinery to be animated, you will have to create them, rig them, and then put them through the motions.

For a first animated project, that could be a lot of work, even for a very short animation. But don’t let me deter you… I will help you if you like. Here’s a short test animation I did that took me longer than I want to admit.

I didn’t explain that very good at all my apologies. I’m going for an effect similar to the “shooting star” going over the Disney castle in their logo. I also found a tutorial on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2EDOaQFQU0 that has a similar effect for background lines but I would like to use my model if possible due to the physics effects I want to apply afterwards. For this however, I may just have to rely on more video editing if I can’t get it all in one.

Thank you for your reply :cool:

Still haven’t had any success with this. I’ve tried several different options using my current model with no success. I will try to upload my image again when I can showing what I am wanting to do. May also try to find better references that show what I’m trying to achieve. Just trying to apply the same effect to the St. Louis arch similar to that of the shooting star going over the castle in the Disney logo animation. I am wanting to play with emitters as well after I get the animation nailed down that shows sparks emitting from the leading edge. Any help and/or direction to a help site that I can learn this type of animation from is greatly appreciated. I’m not even sure what type of animation I can even search since this isn’t going to be a rigged animation of any sort.

Here is another attempt at uploading the image reference for what I’m trying to achieve.

Attachments

You want to create an arch by way of the motion of an object flying through the scene? That shouldn’t be so hard. I thought you had something more complex in mind.

The physics you want to employ in the animation might be more than I can help you with.

Image finally uploaded but duplicated. Hopefully that shows what I’m trying to achieve a little better

The image duplication is normal on this site.

Okay, so you want an object that leaves a trail as it arches through the air. Will it be 2D or 3D?

I have a 3D object I’ve made and would like to use that if possible. So I basically want the screen to start blank and in the end show the entire arch. I never thought I would have such a hard time with finding out where to begin with this. I’m wanting to use this short animation for the splash screen in games I’m making to make it stand out more. Everything else that I am wanting to do with this after the arch animation I already know how to do.

The hardest part of this is figuring out how to create the trail. I can imagine using particle physics to have a stream of sparks fly off the object, but I’ve never used that so I don’t know what’s involved. But that would definitely be the best, imo. Another idea is to create something to act as the arch and have it extend out using shape keys. A simple curve or series of curves could act as the arch, and then you can just extend them along a path behind the object.

I would start by getting an arched path set up for the object and get it to follow it, and then you have a basis to work from. Once that’s done, it will be much easier to try out different ideas.

edited - oops sorry wrong info

Attachments

arch.blend (499 KB)

You could just give the object you want to move along the arch a particle system and then add a follow path constraint to it so it follows the arch.
arch1.blend (1.07 MB)

Use Curve with bevel object and animate Bevel Factor end value.

Yea after doing more research it looks like the best option to do what I want is to use a bezier curve and go that route. Thank you to everyone for your excellent help! I will edit the title to solved.