Trouble accessing cycles in lastest builds

Hi everyone, I’ve a little problem on using cycles under linux (14.04 LTS)with all 2.77 blender releases

I can’t choose cycles as render though it’s activated. Any idea how to solve? is it a bug?

Attachments

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”.

Are these stable releases or nightly builds? Also, is this the release that ships with the distro or a PPA (or downloaded from blender.org)?

I’ve tested both stable and nightly builds, but downloaded from blender.org

And Cycles is available in 2.76 for you?

Yes, I’m still working with 2.76.

Try reseting Blender to ‘Factory Defaults’ (File > Load Factory Settings) and see if that helps. Perhaps you have a third-party add-on that’s getting in the way some how.

It doesn’t work :no::frowning:

Out of curiosity, what do you have set as your compute device (User Preferences, bottom of the first column in System)?

I’ve NONE/CPU even if I’ve an Nvidia (I can’t use cuda)

And this is in both 2.77 and 2.76?

Message says you have multiple addons of the same name. Do you have multiple Cycles versions?

Did you try opening Blender from a terminal to check for error messages?

Go into your home dir, enable invisible files ( with leading “.” are seen then, str-h in some distros ), Open ‘.config/blender/2.77/scripts/addons’ and remove doubled cycles or whatever addon might do the bug. Eventually rename “addons” to “addons_off” for a test if not sure which exactly.
Restart blender to check over.

P.S.: If you are commandline skilled, you can do in terminal as well instead.

EDIT: if this still does not help, check also the so called SYSTEM path: "/usr/share/blender/2.77/ "
This may have been “polluted” by an apt-get install ( aka distro ppa or such ).

For more information about the possible install pathes and preferred search order: https://www.blender.org/manual/getting_started/installing_blender/directorylayout.html#path-layout

Jens

thank to everyone for help, but nothing solve the problem, cycles still remain in 2.76 but not in 2.77

starting blender from terminal “./Downloads/blender_new/blender” give me this message:
"
connect failed: No such file or directory
Read new prefs: /home/n1k0l4/.config/blender/2.77/config/userpref.blend
found bundled python: /home/n1k0l4/Downloads/blender_new/2.77/python
bpy.utils.register_module(): failed to registering class <class ‘cycles.CyclesRender’>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/n1k0l4/Downloads/blender_new/2.77/scripts/modules/bpy/utils/init.py”, line 603, in register_module
register_class(cls)
ValueError: expected RenderEngine, CyclesRender class “bake” function to have 10 args, found 9

Blender quit
"

You could always try the nuclear option: remove ~/.config/blender (or move it somewhere else) and then start Blender. That config directory will auto-populate with defaults.

:smiley: Yeeeesssss!! It works!!! thank you very much Fweeb!!! :smiley:

Yay! That means you probably had some kind of add-on (or perhaps configuration) collision going on. Glad to see you back up and running!