Collision detection doesn't work properly

Hello,

in my game, most of the collision detection happens on a plane on which the player moves.
Unfortunately, now I started adding to my complex terrain (set to no collision) an collision hull with some elevation and the player goes right through it.
Sometimes he collides with it but in most cases not. There are further objects to collide with (smaller than the terrain, see illustration the waves) which seem to work fine.

From time to time the player even goes right through the main plane.

I’ve got the physic steps all set to 5 (max, substeps, logic steps).

Any idea how to improve the collision detection in the game engine?

Here’s a pic of the collision hull

Hope someone knows where this problem could be coming from.

Attachments

convex hull can only describe a single enclosure,

for complex terrain like a desert, you will need to make many small physics objects that add up to your terrain*

Thanks for the reply.

I could solve it by setting the collision detection bounds to triangle mesh and increasing the margin to 30 cm

triangle mesh have no volume, so fast moving objects can ‘pop through’
there are methods I have read about to dissolve triangle mesh into many convex hulls

A solution I found that helps a little, is to select the mesh and in edit mode select all the rectangle/square, normals, and change them to triangle. In edit mode >Mesh > normals, “CTRL T”. (I think) It helps a little. Then reduce any steep angles, or block them with an invisible wall. Still, as BPR said, fast moving objects pop right through. I’m also looking for a better solution.