Default first person player camera/cube can it be made better?

Hi,

So since I’m using a camera/cube setup for a first person player, how can it be made better than it is, currently the movement is poor due to the fact that the camera doesn’t move with the left or right. So therefore the arrow key forward and it doesn’t go forward due to the messy function of it.

What can be done to solve this? I prefered the camera control before, but that was obviously far too low to the floor.

Thanks to the handy-dandy Mouse actuator, this is a breeze.

This is how I do it. The camera is made the child of the player object. A Mouse > Movement sensor is placed on the camera, along with an AND controller. Connected to the controller is two different Mouse > Look actuators, one on the Camera object and one on the Player cube. The Player’s Mouse > Look actuator has the “Use Y Axis” button disabled, while the Camera’s “Use X Axis” button is disabled.

Now, the Camera will look up and down while the Player rotates left and right, but still offering seamless motion when you move the mouse. So now, when you walk forward, you’ll really go forward.

+1 to mouse actuator making FPS very easy

my biggest problem with mouse actuator,

if you use a keypress to disable it, then re-enable it , it goes wonkey.

this is one reason I still use Simple Mouse/ Mouse property generator*

otherwise you can’t make a UI / inventory etc accessible inside the main scene.

I use a Boolean property sensor on the Look controller to activate/deactivate the Mouse actuator. So, if I open a menu, that property goes False. I haven’t had problems with that system at all so far. (Well, except for one issue I had with rotation, but that was because I kept changing the camera position in a weird way.)

yeah, if you disable mouse look, move the mouse, and re-enable it, it ‘jerks’ to a new position

also, I have not tested it lately but there was another bug, where if you move to the end of you rotation limit, and then turn mouslook off, and then back on you reset the rotation limits, allowing you to rotate past where your limit was

May all be fixed now, but not last time I checked.

Edit: Tested! works great now!

(I told lord loki about the issues some time ago, and he must have fixed it at some point*)