Can Blender Unwrap a straight UV Map?

Hi, I am trying to unwrap the hull of this ship so I can apply a wooden plank image but after trying all of the UV unwrap options I haven’t had any luck.

Is this not possible for Blender to unwrap the hull in a somewhat straight shape so I can more easily apply a straight wooden plank texture?

Attachments

You have to do some work rather then rely on a machine to do it all for you
Add seams (Ctrl+E) to the correct selected edges
Unwrap (U) and try the angle based versus conformal unwrap method to se which gives best result

Ha Ha yes but if machines are able to simplify mundane tasks then why not. My first unwrap in ZBrush produced amazing results which I may end up going with. I have spent the last 2 hours in Blender marking seams then unwrapping, marking seams then unwrapping. I have tried marking the seams about 10 different ways to try to get the mesh to unwrap properly. I have also applied “Pack Islands” Minimize Stretch" etc. but still not good results.

I selected parts of the UV’s and hoped to “Snap to Grid” but this does not exist. Is there another way to select the UV vertices and align/snap them so some of the UV’s are straight?

Attachments

In my experience, mechanical objects can see straighter unwraps if you switch the algorithm to conformal rather than angle-based.

You also might want to unwrap incrementally as well, make an initial unwrap of the straighter faces and then pin the vertices (so that all faces done afterwards using ‘unwrap’ will not impact their positions).