Are the tutorials up to date and worth my time and money?

Hello! I’m new here. I’m looking for some thorough tutorials about everything Blender but especially texturing and animation. And a place to ask stupid questions when there’s something I don’t understand. I’m a no native English speaker so be nice with me, grammar may be a bit off.

I have tried going trough some free tutorials but I always seam to get stuck, mostly because the tutorials is not up to date with recent changes in Blender, or they don’t seem to explain the stuff I would want to know.

Could someone point me in the right direction for some good tutorials? I have been considering paying for a membership on blender.org or CGCookie to get access to the tutorials but I want to know witch one I should start off with and more importantly if they are up to date and can provide a better learning experience than the free stuff I have tried so far.

My reason for learning Blender is my ongoing VR projects in the Unity game engine. I have been experimenting with and building stuff for VR for about 2 years now, but it’s all been a bit basic. I hope learning Blender will enable me to make some more advanced stuff.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Any teaching material for Blender below 2.5 is useless because that version got a complete overhaul. Can’t help much for tutorial recommendation online. I bought a physical book to learn blender, it’s about two years old and uses version 2.6.x I think. It covers character creation from pre production to post production. I just go about it from start to finish, the process for character creation covers all techniques I need to create and animate any model. Texturing besides the technical stuff involves a lot of creative input that doesn’t translate well in learning material. For example you can learn how specular maps works but you’ll have to figure out how to draw good textures as each use case differs quite a bit.

Fortunately, you can still follow some of the old tutorials when you get used to the interface and some of the tools.

I’ve learned quite a bit from CGCookie but i would recommend that you only subscribe for one month and then download the tutorials that interest you the most. You can always subscribe again a few months later when something new grabs your attention or if you need to download a few things you need.

Also before you register for CGcookie, you can get a ton of free ones by simply making a free account and then going here:

Also check out BlenderGuru, it has quite a few useful and free tutorials.

https://cloud.blender.org/training has some good stuff too.

Hi

I think…Blender cloud is a good place to start and you support Blender with your registration…= Pay for programmers…:slight_smile:

Blender cloud is much more than tutorials…Take a look at it…I’m sure you will not be disappointed.

Cyaoeu Give You the link.

Tai

http://getblended.org/

Blenderartists.org Ask you will get answered :slight_smile: