Cycles - GPU Rendering on Mint 17.3

Hi guys,

I’ve recently installed the latest Linux Mint (17.3) with Cinnamon and am trying to use gpu rendering in Cycles. I have a GeForce 960GTX and have had no issues on Windows 10, or the latest Ubuntu 16.04.
I have installed the 361.42 drivers, I got the nvidia-modprobe for 361.42 also. I have also tried launching Blender under sudo as I saw some reference to that being needed to enable gpu rendering.

Currently though I have had no success what-so-ever, my card isn’t listed in preferences and there are no GPU options.

Thanks in advance for any help you fine bunch of people can provide https://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

I’ve recently installed Rosa and had issues while trying 364.12 on GTX750. 352.63 with nvidia-modprobe i had to install additionally runs fine and certainly does not require being a root to run Blender. Nivea driver gets blacklisted automatically during nvidia install, iirc. If that driver is still around Blender Cylces&CUDA wont work.
Since the time i did try 364.12 there is 364.19 announced as a first of 364 series stable.

I run 17.3 and have had no issues with GPU rendering. I’m running driver version 352.41 I think, but I install the driver manually, that might make a difference?

In my case, I installed CUDA from NVIDIA, and set the environment variable before starting Blender.

If blender comes from builder.blender.org (blender.org/download too?) CUDA binary parts are already included in download. If blender is taken from elsewhere (ppa’s) chances are this is not included and you’d need tons of CUDA development stuff downloaded to initiate and compile blender’s CUDA binary when Cycles is first time selected.

If “install driver manually” is download xxx.run from Nvidia, stop display manager and execute downloaded .run file as a root, this is what i do for drivers too. buntu’s “Use Proprietary Driver” does not download and use driver from nvidia as i understand, i might be wrong here.

I think that has never been that way. I always recommend installing nvidia from package manager or driver manager (or even downloading the .deb packages). Install driver from .run file is not for novice users and can lead many problems.

@BlenderBrit, To know if you have properly installed the driver, “copy and paste” this from the terminal and share the results here:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

Thanks for all the replies guys. I actually forgotten I made this post :S In the end out of frustration I formatted and started fresh with Xubuntu, worked instantly out of the box. Just enabled the nvidia driver and downloaded Blender directly from blender.org. GPU rendering works a treat now and am finding a noticeable speed increase over my main Windows install. Most importantly, my screen recording software (OBS Studio) works even better in linux too, I’m able to record tutorials whilst rendering without any hickups.