Can I sculpt this --> in blender?

Hi guys

So, I’ve been sculpting for several years but always in a physical medium, and always just for myself. Lately I’ve started doing some commission work and realized I ought to try out digital sculpting. I picked up a Zbrush trial and it was amazing! Yeah it took about a week of watching youtube tutorials to figure the program out, but I quickly realized that sculpting digitally is the way to go. Long story short, my trial ran out, I went to check the price, and…HOLY *@&#. Ok, that’s not happening any time soon lol. So I looked at the options. I’ve played with Blender a very little bit before (my previous job was doing CAD design, but never anything as complex or organic as sculpture), so all I looked at was the plane building tools.

Now I want to sculpt. And I saw blender (at least this current iteration) has sculpting tools. Cool! But before I go spend another 20 hours learning the program, I want to make sure it can accomplish what I want to do.
Could blender sculpt something like this?

That’s the kind of sculpture I did by hand. Or tried to haha. But I mean, that level of detail, possibly more, and those flowing organic shapes.

Can I do that in Blender?

Attachments

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to

Obviously it would be easier to do in Zbrush because I see a lot of things in this sculpture that could be made easily with the clay tubes tool.

Absolutely. Check this guy’s works for some of what you can accomplish with Blender’s sculpt tools if you are skilled enough (and have a good enough computer)

http://blenderartists.org/forum/search.php?searchid=4859652

Thanks guys!
Link doesn’t work for me tho :frowning:

I sculpted this in Zbrush the other day as practice (before my trial ended). I don’t need to sculpt anything very complex, just need to make sure I can do the curved shapes and such.

Guess Ill start on Blender then :slight_smile:

Attachments

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling”

Don’t skip the basics and you’ll have easier time getting to know the sculpting portion of it. Interface stuff is important, including the emulate 3 button mouse setting which is handy with a graphics tablet https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0AfIdK08E7_PKsXOO_yuAql9b3hdcwPR