noisy images in cycles

The image you see here was rendered at 1280x720 100%. I rendered it with 500 samples, and it took 5 minutes to render. Even with all this, there’s still a lot of noise. I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

Based on what? Other than the render time and the number of samples you gave us no relevant information to work with.

Please ALWAYS supply an example .blend file that clearly illustrates the issue with any support question.

-try other lighting tricks stenght,…i have no clue.
-4 min is nothing for an render
-try the denoiseing branch from lucas stockner (alpha) but it helps alot in most cases.

i don’t know what other information i could give you.

this is a single frame from a longer animation i’m making, i think 5 minutes per frame of an animation is something.

First, for what you have here you should be looking at less then a minute for a render, your materials look like they are a single diffuse node and nothing else.
I would suggest making your light source bigger, a very small point lightsource will be noisy to render. Next I would suggest using some form of environmental lighting. It can be turned down to almost nothing but it will help clean up some of that noise.
And most likely with the level of detail you have, you could most likely get away with 50%

And next provide a blend. It is the rules of the house if you expect help. And frame rendering can easily get up to an hour a frame. If you need some help with renders for a school project look me up.

you know what, never mind. i’ll figure it out. the scene contains a lot more than that one house. It’s got a smoke simulation, grass, about 50 other houses since its in a neighborhood, and my actual character. ive asked the mods to delete this thread. thanks for the replies.

Did you come here for help, or to be a martyr?

Here is how the help process works.

Step 1: Google it and do some research first, very often you will find that a thousand people before you have had this same issue.

Step 2: Explain your problem in a polite, concise manor and provide as much information as you can upfront. This helps the people who want to help you.

Step 3: Accept that people will give you suggestions on what to do, as well as further questions. This is not them attacking you, this is not them questioning your value as a human. This is your fellow artists who by and large are decent people, but this is your fellow artists who are doing what they can to resolve your problem for you. This is not a comfortable process for some people, And when they ask you questions for clarification and they will, it is not a personal attack.

Step 4: Say thank you.

Step 5: See if anything worked.

Step 6: return to do step one again or say thank you and report the issue resolved.

Here is how the help process works.

Step 1: Google it and do some research first, very often you will find that a thousand people before you have had this same issue.

Step 2: Explain your problem in a polite, concise manor and provide as much information as you can upfront. This helps the people who want to help you.

Step 3: Accept that people will give you suggestions on what to do, as well as further questions. This is not them attacking you, this is not them questioning your value as a human. This is your fellow artists who by and large are decent people, but this is your fellow artists who are doing what they can to resolve your problem for you. This is not a comfortable process for some people, And when they ask you questions for clarification and they will, it is not a personal attack.

Step 4: Say thank you.

Step 5: See if anything worked.

Step 6: return to do step one again or say thank you and report the issue resolved.

you’re right. its a really bad habit i have to give up on things and get frustrated really easily.

i think its safe to assume that i fixed the issue

this is more or less what i’m going for in the final scene, (if you’re wondering, this scene is a flash forward, the main character’s car is in disrepair and smoking) To fix the issue i just had to stop using the actual porch light as a light source and just put a spot light right where the porch light is, and the majority of the noise is gone.

So thank you, and i’m gonna go ahead and report this solved. I’ll experiment a bit more in the future before i come running to the forums.

Attachments

and also yes, i know everything looks kinda crappy and low poly. I haven’t even been doing CG for a year, i know that’s not an excuse, but thats my explanation.

We all start from somewhere and what you have is a very good block-in.
As for the other modeling skills, meh they will find you if you practice. Just loiter on the forums and occasionally climb out of your comfort zone.

How long did it now took to render.

What have u changed to get the noise free render.

to reduce the noise i had to get a bigger light source and increase the number of samples

only problem is it now takes like 20 minutes to render a single frame on my piece of s*** computer.

this particular part of the animation is about 970 frames long

970 times 20 is 19400.
19400 minutes is about 323 hours

323 hours = 13 days to render a roughly 40 second animation.

ive never been more frustrated in my life.

I’m assuming there’s also nothing i can do about these ridiculous render times?

Happy blending dude.323h hopefully they pay u well.

Well could you post you final scene ?

I should be able to render it a little faster if you want : )

What are the specs of the machine you are rendering on? And there should be ways to speed that render time up a little.

If you want to render ANIMATIONS with only ONE COMPUTER
-Rendering simple stuff fast: Blender Internal
-Rendering complex stuff slowly: Blender Internal
-Rendering simple or complex stuff slowly: Cycles
-Rendering complex stuff fast: a game engine: UE4 for example

Well I’m not sure, rendering this kind of scene in UE4 is really useful :wink:

there’s plenty you can do…
In my opinion, for the style you’re using, you could even render everything with OpenGL in a matter of… well probably faster than the animation itself.
Blender Internal engine could do it in more time, but with some nice raytraced reflections, refractions, volumetrics… BI is what I would say to be the best choice for this kind of style.
Cycles on the other hand is another beast. It was build to deal with scenes with a complexity far beyond yours, where the quantity of geometry and light interactions is so big that BI just get’s stucked.

Mixing engines is also a possibility, along with baking and compositing.

Reducing noise or speeding up renders in Cycles is possible, but each scene has it’s problems, and solutions may vary drastically… sometimes at the cost of some realism, sometimes even remake objects completly.
That is why it’s important to include a blend file in your posts… If we can see what kind of lights, materials, meshes, you’re using, we can give a more accurate solution for your specific problem. I mean, after one day you still haven’t found a solution… If you want we can keep shooting blanks here, and maybe someone will hit the jackpot, say something like ‘transparent for shadow rays’ in less than the 323 hours, it would take you to render the scene.

(you don’t need to send us all your work, just a small example where your doubt/problem still occurs)