Detailing?

Hey guys, I’m fairly new to blender and 3D modeling but I’m starting to like it a lot and managed to make a simple gun

How would I go about detailing this? I searched everywhere and still nothing :confused: any help is appriciated

You didn’t model the gun you just cutout the shape of the gun

agreed ^
You have a great block out to go into and model each of this pieces separately, ex… the stock, clip, hand grip, rails…

You are at the point where you can stop thinking about modeling the gun and start thinking about each individual piece that is part of the gun (like tungerz already mentioned above).
One thing that I had to learn when I started modeling is that you dont have to do everything in one object. Its fine if you end up with 50 different objects. To keep organized I highly recommend to name your objects or you will get frustrated and end up with a messy blend file. Happend to me too many times to not mention here :wink:

If you need some general informations about hard surface modeling, this tutorial might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZytYzZWCeE

Have fun!

When I started out learning modeling, I spent at lest a month or two reading thru the documentation and tried everything out. I read the documentation of the first modeling tool, I watched tutorials about it, and tried to make something with it. Once I understood the first tool I went on to the second, and third, and so on. You can’t model anything, if don’t know the tools.

@OP

I recommend starting out with Cinema 4D then moving to blender when you feel that you are ready

since it will make more sense to someone who is new to 3d

Get a demo of it

Worst advise I’ve heard… Learning one program and then moving to another when the same principles and online resources apply to Blender just adds confusion and extra work. On the contrary Blender’s UI is pretty easy to learn, it just doesn’t have things schematically organized as in other programs. Start by learning the fundamentals first, check out Arrimus3D on YouTube…

I’ve worked with almost every 3d software package out there and I got tell you C4D is one of crappiest. Any piece of software that audaciously costs as much as C4D, or 3DS or Maya or any of the others for that matter, better come complete without having to buy addons and plugins EVER!

And let’s not forget the for most it’s called a “subscription fee” which has to be paid continually - what a friggin’ rip-off. What the couple thousand isn’t enough, they want people to pay to use their crappy software too?

Companies like Autodesk should be thankful that there’s still dimwitted people out there still willing to pay that much for their software when Blender is giving it away for FREE!

Don’t listen to people who say that you need the “latest, greatest, and most expensive” of anything, they generally want other people to make the same mistakes as they did so they don’t feel so bad about spending a buttload of money and yet never turned out anything worthwhile.

You just keep practicing because “creation is an act of sheer will”, and no amount of money or expensive software is going to magically give you talent, all it will say is that you’re real good at spending money.

It depends on what you mean by detailing. If it’s for a game or something I would just paint textures on it, it will probably look decent. Search for blender texture paint on youtube for tutorials.

Okay but I’m saying that because I started out that way then I ended up realizing that I don’t need c4d (also the modeling tools in c4d are rubbish ) so that if op ever blames blender for sth, he will know that it’s the same in every other software. Also cinema 4d is a bit more user friendly

Sent from my SM-G530H using Tapatalk

@fdfxd

… your personal experience is not a sound advice for modeling - since you’ve learned it’s a waste of time & effort when a goal is to know the process of modeling.

@Kayrot

As already stated above, start by blocking the shape, assemble a basic form made of primitives (cube, sphere, cylinder…) then move on … to sub-d modeling and sculpting… watch an explanatory tutorial first, take notes, then exercise (use same principal & practice as you were thought in school).

Also very good learning and well organized resources are on Blender Cloud (from 9.90€/month - it is well worth it) and Blender Cookie at CGCookie

Could also learn about Descriptive Geometry.

In the Blender cookie archives they have a video about modeling a handgun, might be useful.

@Habauk and @burnin give the most informative answers to the posted question. @tungerz and @Lambrijr were also helpful. The rest of you are maybe too professional-minded to think in terms of a beginner who just wants to learn how to do something the proper way.

@Kayrot - Now that you’ve built the basic shape of the gun with primitives, you can work on the mesh structure by adding and manipulating the vertices, edges, and faces of the mesh into a more detailed form. Get familiar with the loop-cut tool and the bevel tool. Also don’t be afraid to add other mesh objects as needed, as Habauk said. Trying to create something out of a single mesh object is probably best left for character modelling. Mechanical objects are formed out of separate parts, so you should try to follow the same structural design that would be used in a real object. just don’t worry too much about what will never be seen, since that would be overkill.

@Kayrot first let me offer my apologies for the greetings you got on your first post on these forums. Some people here tend to open up their snark on the newer members when they should be offering helpful advice. Although you will earn my deepest respects if you manage not to pay that one favor forward.

Now looking at your blockout that you did, it looks right in perspective mode. And that is a good accomplishment. So now would be a good time to use it as a template and begin to pick one of the many modeling methods out there and have at it. Personally I would be tempted to see how much of that I could flesh out using dynamic topology in sculpt mode.

Once again welcome to the forum.