Any render farms supporting an API for running dyamic py scripts on shared assets ?

Hi,

I’ve been looking at some of the render farms, but most seem to be based around uploading .blend files as jobs via a web UI.

I require the ability to have shared assets stored in the cloud, some .blend scenes and python scripting to dynamically control modifying the scene with external objects etc, controlled by an API called from our webserver.

essentially we’d be calling blender command line against a script and a configuration file, and that script would load some relevant assets off the network ready for rendering

I’ve got a feeling this may be more bespoke than what the current services offer.

I’d be grateful of any pointers though

thanks
J.

You can try Amazon EC2 based rendering with Brenda scripts by Janes Yonan. You can autorun py scripts on blend file startup or if you need even more control, run your scripts on instance startup.

thanks I’ve looked into the likes of Brenda and Flamenco briefly but I’m thinking we will likely require a managed service, as we won’t be looking after each installation ourselves in the long run.

I believe Renderstreet provide FTP asset upload and an API , as do LionRender, so I’m currently investigating these. I was wondering if anybody had experience of using these sort of services in this way.

thanks
J

Hi there,

We do have an API, and it allows fully integrating our service in custom pipelines. File uploads can be done with FTP or rsync, and you can control the entire render workflow from your application. The API has been in production for quite a while and we have a number of clients using it successfully.

We also provide support with getting you started as well as along the way if needed. All jobs launched using the API are running on our main infrastructure and are backed up by our support. You can see some operating stats on our blog if you’re interested in numbers.

And finally, our rendering platform has been built 100% in-house, which means we have full control over it and we’ll be able to accommodate your specific requirements.

Best regards,
Marius Iatan
CEO, RenderStreet