Houdini 15.5

Blender already have a powerfull set of modeling tool but I would like to see this parametric bevel and beveling profile with the preselection give a good feedback Paleajed already implement this at this level I hope it get in to trunk soon

If you don’t mind, please don’t just linkbomb this forum with an embedded video. Could you write a bit of context to this for folks who can’t or won’t watch the video? Houdini is great, but why specifically is this video interesting and what would you like responders in this thread to discuss?

Houdini 15.5 is the latest update for Houdini. It has a bunch of improvements and in my opinion one of the biggest ones is this:

Houdini 15.5 also brings Third Party Rendering to Houdini Indie. Now independent artists and studios can use RenderMan, Arnold and OctaneRender in their lighting pipeline along with Houdini’s built-in Mantra renderer. Houdini Indie support will also be available for V-Ray, Redshift and Maxwell.
Houdini Indie is the $199/year version for indie users with less than $100k annual gross revenue. Some other limitations: cannot be used in pipelines with commercial Houdini licenses, own file format (.hiplc, limited commercial when saving, however you can open all files), only 1080p animation rendering (no limit for stills) and finally no third party render support. Until now! So now you can actually use other renderers which is pretty cool. I’m thinking of picking up Redshift myself. :cool:

The astounding thing I see about these recent Houdini releases is how they just seem to get everything right on every major feature they implement. The new bevel tool is just nuts and the stuff it has should become the todo list for the Blender equivalent.

When it comes to inspiration for the implementation of new features for Blender and the enhancement of existing ones, the applications that are Modo, Houdini, Zbrush, and 3D Coat are perhaps the only major ones that should really matter for just about everything outside of animation, compositing, sequencing, and rendering (because at the moment, they seem to be the torchbearers of almost all the innovation in those areas outside of cutting edge research and academia).

Sorry it give me an error and only the video show up the same happen sometime with image

Being able to control bevel with curve points like that is an incredibly nice feature that’s been around for a while in Modo and C4D. It’s a pity that it would be such a pain to implement in Blender, but it would certainly be worth the time IMO. That auto quad complete on the knife tool is pretty damn cool too.

A text summary of the new features can be found here: http://www.sidefx.com/news/sidefx-releases-houdini-155/

I really like the quick start videos too, they showcase new features in single short videos. They can be found here: http://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/
I think videos like this could be useful for Blender too (for new versions).

Blender and Houdini based pipeline is highly complimentary and productive. They complete different spectrums of the pipeline to create a highly efficient workflow. The only link still missing is Alembic. Any news on that?

Regarding 15.5 - The polyBevel tool curve/gradient profiles look very impressive. I would love to see something like that in Blender with Solidify and perhaps Bevel modifier. Reminds me of this: https://vimeo.com/141424223

+1000

This update is massive, Displacement in viewport, MaxWell coming soon, Delta Mush, little improvements every where… :smiley:

@zeauro
I’m talking about the preselection in houdini of course I would be nice to have curve profile

Houdini Engine for Unity and Unrealshowcase for procedural workflow