unreal, import animation clip

Does anyone use unreal and have tried exporting animation from blender?

I exported entire animation clips into unreal from blender, and splicing it, making clips from it is very hard since
it twists the framerate upon each cut.

What i need is a way to know, if once i have split my blender animation in dope sheet into clips and so on,
will i be able to import it to unreal, ready use in clips?
Or do i have to safe it all in several fbxes?

Thank you.

What do you mean by “clips”?

You can export an .fbx with several animations if you make sure All Actions is checked in the fbx export settings. They will be split into multiple actions. You can also save an .fbx per animation if you prefer that (probably easier to manage and tell what the animations are plus reimporting the animations might be easier).

I made an animation batch export script earlier, you can test that if you don’t want all animations in one file.

import bpy

path = bpy.path.abspath('//') #output path is .blend folder

for action in bpy.data.actions:
    bpy.context.active_object.animation_data.action = action #select target armature in object mode
    bpy.ops.export_scene.fbx(filepath=str(path + action.name + '.fbx'), object_types={'ARMATURE'}, bake_anim_use_nla_strips=False, bake_anim_use_all_actions=False, add_leaf_bones=False, bake_anim_use_all_bones=True)

This script is a bit stupid, it will export all actions so if you’ve got multiple armatures with certain actions all actions will get exported with the selected armature (maybe) but if that happens I guess you can just delete the extra .fbxes.

er…thank you for the code. i appreciate the gesture…
it’s just that i work in UE4, and i am hoping that i could have the action ready in different clips inside UE,
but without exporting one by one fbx per timeline.

it’s the import that matters.

And your code seems like… messy for UE.
no offense.

It’s python code for Blender. You can’t use that in UE4. Anyway, I use UE4 too and it’s a bit unclear what you want to do. If you’re asking if it’s possible to export multiple animations in one file: yes it’s possible.