"Project Bird 2" short animation

Hi guys,

I am reviving an old project of mine. It started about two years ago, but due to my lack of discipline, past and current jobs, I abandoned it for a while. For now I have only the “concept art” (see below) and storyboards, and I intend to finish it by the end of July, hopefully in time to apply for Suzanne Awards 2016. :smiley:

This animation is a gag about a man being eaten by a bird. A single shot, no more than 1 minute long.
My main goals are to make a visually pleasing render and to make smooth character animation.

The caracters and a rough sketch of the set:

CC are welcome!

Attachments

Cool characters :wink:
The guy looks a bit like Bert from “Bert & Ernie” ^^

Attachments

Thanks, CurtYoung!
You are not the only one who compared my character to Bert, which is cool, because I like it!

Here are the animatic. The animation will be shorter than I expected: about 30 seconds.

will you render it in NPR style like your skecth?

No, Oyster. It will be 3D (these sketches weren’t made in Blender btw) and I’m aiming in something plastic. Maybe clay-like.

Here is the main character. I changed the size of the feet and hands and I had to change the hair due to my lack of skills to make something good fast. I’m not sure if this will be the final hair, but that’s what I got for now!

Attachments

Here is the bird!
Same problem here, I’m not sure if I will use hair particles for the body feathers or just a texture…

Attachments

And here are the main props. They are not on scale.
(The details of the tv won’t be visible as it will be blurred in the foreground).

Attachments

Cool project!
The timing of your animatic is very fast for someone who watches it for the first time. Is that, what you are going for? I think you can take more time before the bird comes in, and more time to show them chasing around, which would maybe add another ten seconds to the animation.
But so far everything is looking very nice, you seem to really think about the details and plan everything out. That will probably make it look very elaborate in the end :wink:

Thanks, Triastase!

You are right about the speed. I didn’t want to make something too fast. I was thinking about putting in 5-10 seconds of the man switching channels while the bird flies outside before landing on the window and later a few extra seconds to the chase. I will try to make this directly in the animation, not in the storyboard/animatic, because I’m already late with my “schedule”.

Here is the set with the basic lighting. A sun lamp coming from the windows, a weak gray sky and an area lamp on the tv. The render took about 2 minutes at 400 samples.

Attachments

Models are really nice and smooth!

Thanks CurtYoung!

Well, I’m back. It’s been hard to work on this lately, I completely failed my deadlines, but anyway… the project goes on. I consider the Bird done. I’m just not sure about the textures yet. I wanted it like clay or plastic, but isolated it looks too simple. Maybe it’s better to decide that after texturing the scenario.

You can see how is the rig working here:

And here is the man model and rig.
I sculpted his hair instead of using the previous one. I think it’s better.

Wait, he looks like your avatar… Is he you? Good reference to Edgar Allan Poe

Yeah, you got me, wikifry! This is me a few years (and a few pounds) later. :smiley:

After reading this I searched a little and found about “The Raven”. The reference was completely accidental, though! ^^

Here is a still render with final quality. I expect to change just a few things (C&C are welcome), but I’ll call it done for now. It’s time to move on and animate it already!

PS.: Does someone know how to update the thumbnail of my thread?

The skin color on the man seems either too saturated or not enough, for me.