Modern ArchViz

Hi,

enclosed you see a picture for a client.
The client will use my visualisations for his house sale, as the house is in “renovating mode” :smiley:

From you experts, I like to have technical and artistical advice.
First of all I don’t know why the image is so noisey and so dark(1920x1080; 350 Samples; Lighting by the Pro Lighting Skies Addon from BlenderGuru - Settings: Sun:1; Sky:25).
Also I don’t know what to put on the beige wall on the left. Do you guys have ideas?

Provided by the client is:
-the room and the windows
-and the perspective (with it’s wide angle camera (unfortunately))

Thank you so much for your time and help. You’ll make my day. :slight_smile:

Leon

__________________________________________________________________________-

The last result ist the final, I’ve send the client.

Attachments

Oh, and I know the Glass looks like a mirror. :smiley:

Additionally it’s my first interior. Before, I only did exteriors for clients.

What’s the node setup for the window pane material?
Tried using portals?

BTW, Cycles is not an optimal choice for interiors. And 350 samples really is not that much…

Thanks for your quick post. Here my node setup for the window.

Now I put on every window a portal. I’ll render it after some changes with more samples.

Unfortunately I don’t have enough time to learn a new renderer but good to know for the future.

Attachments

Thanks for the reply.

I now used Layer Weight. Probably a bit too much Gloss but it is definitely a better method.
I also tried the AO-Wall Method in the link you commented. Unfortunately it looked totally fake. The walls had almost no shadows.

Anyway I probably solved one of the two naked wall problems.
But it’s still pretty noisey. In the end, I could crank up the Samples to 1500 or higher but is it really necassary? Isn’t there a better method?

Attachments

This is indeed remarkably noisy…
Could you try using a different HDRI?

And I think your exterior renderings spoilt your sense of perspective when it comes to sample counts…:wink:
1500 samples is still pretty much in the “low to average” category and not some fantastically high number of samples you need to “crank up” to.

This image is so noisy my neigbors called the police…
Seriously, this noisy with 350 samples? You are doing something terribly wrong… (or lying) There is not even so much geometry from what I see
25 for the sky seems way too much for me, but whatever. And why is your glass not glass? I dont get it…
If this is meant for the client, let me say that it is unacceptable. If you are willing to share the blend, we might take a look and find out what’s wrong…

Here the .blend file https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbwhy7z2ne2s1xn/The%20Room.blend?dl=0 . Hope you can find the mistake.
(In this file I tried to solve the problem via different sample seeds. So in case you wonder…)
Oh, could you download it from the dropbox?

Thanks

300 Samples:

Attachments

BTW, the animated sampling seed only makes sense for animations.

Other than that: I think you start to see why I said that Cycles is not an optimal choice for these kinds of scenes.
Cycles is an unoptimized pathtracer, which fires rays from the camera into the scene and let’s them bounce until they reach a light source. But you’re actually doing anything you can to “hide” the light source from Blender - with small window openings and now even window blinds. This is kind of typical for interiors and will result in convergence taking forever. Thus your need for much more samples.

Anyway, I think you’re using far too many bounces in your scene. 15 bounces for everything? What for?

Hmmm, gave it a quick look. At this point I am not sure I will help you much, but anyway, here are some general ideas:

• Just out of curiosity why the animated seed? Were you trying the old trick with mixing two images with different noise?
  • And I still dont know what is the deal with the windows :slight_smile:

I guess the whole problem kind of boils down to - the room is very dark (partly because it only has a few small windows) and you are trying anything and everything to combat it. therefore:

• as IkariShinji already observed there is “too much” bounces for everything
  • the sky is very overblown
  • As far as I know portals portals sample only environment light and since you have an area lamp behind every window anyway I don’t think they are much help.
  • many light sources in tight spots equal noise

The problem is i don’t know what you are going for. Do you want your client to get the idea how the room is gonna look, or do you actually want to give him somewhat corret preview of how it will be lit? Or are you going for some specific soft light setup?
At this point I personally would just say “f**k it” and deleted all the bloody area lamps and put one big emmission plane behind the camera, since it is a fixed angle anyway. It would solve you a lot of headache. Ore make the light come from one big chandolier or something like that.

However, if you insist on your lighting it is gonna be a lot trickier. I would still delete the area lamps (switch them perhaps for one sun?) and lessened the bounces. You might try turning on ambient occlusion try some clamping… And well, I would make the windows bigger! but I guess thats not an option. Other than that I dont have that much ideas, sorry :-(. I might take another look after work and try something out, but no promises :slight_smile:

Hello,
So, since its holiday in Brazil, I decided to give it a try.
I think Adam and Ikari are right.
Since I don’t have the add-on for the enviroment I used a regular HDR (did not tweak it or anything: you could move it around and blow out it a little bit if you don’t want people to see the exterior).
The most important part is the interior lighting, I’ve made a simple scene with two planes with soft blue emission (3 in strenght I guess) as if they were lamps. That kind of solved your problem.
Also, too much bounces (I used the regular blender setup for this) and also used the good-old clamping (5 I guess).
I took the liberty to delete all the areas lamps (I guess it was around 10).
One more thing: I simplified the nodes in the glass and also, the PVC material hadn’t any nodes, so I put a mix with diffuse and glossy for it.
Sorry about the resolution it was with 40% of the size with 750 samples. For your client I would go higher (1000 or 1250 at least, since there’s going to be a lot more objects in the scene).

Well, I hope I could be of some help also.
Good luck with the project and hope you nail it with the client! :slight_smile:

PS.: if I may give an advice, I think in the windows panes you would have to close them a little bit (maybe moving the rotation of them) otherwise they wouldn’t block the light as they are used for.

Attachments

Hello,
Since I don’t have the add-on for the enviroment I used a regular HDR (did not tweak it or anything: you could move it around and blow out it a little bit if you don’t want people to see the exterior).
The most important part is the interior lighting, I’ve made a simple scene with two planes with soft blue emission (3 in strenght I guess) as if they were lamps. That kind of solved your problem.
Also, too much bounces (I used the regular blender setup for this) and also used the good-old clamping (5 I guess).
One more thing: I simplified the nodes in the glass and also, the PVC material hadn’t any nodes, so I put a mix with diffuse and glossy for it.
Sorry about the resolution it was with 40% of the size with 750 samples. For your client I would go higher (1000 or 1250 at least, since there’s going to be a lot more objects in the scene).

PS.: if I may give an advice, I think in the windows panes you would have to close them a little bit (maybe moving the rotation of them) otherwise they wouldn’t block the light as they are used for.

@IkariShinji: Oh tank you, didn’t know that.
Definitely, I will change the render afterwards. Any Suggestions?
The windows are provided by the client so I couldn’t change them.

I thought that in the real world you also have many bounces that lights the room even when the sun is hided.

@.Adam.
-Didn’t know it’s for animation. :smiley:
-It’s provided by the client

At the moment the building is renovated but the client likes to sale it now. Therefore, he uses the pictures for his sales ad.

Thanks again for your advice.

Well, this is my third attempt to post in this tread in try to help you! But it is just not being published.
Yesterday I did a render for you with the necessary modifications and I think it came out the way you need!
My original message (hope it gets published now):

Hello,

Attachments

Sorry, but I had to meet the deadline, therefore I didn’t have time to answer.

Anyway, I nailed it thanks to you guys.
I also saw your 3 posts @Miramonts, thank you.

Putting the number of bounces down, limit the direct light and indirect light and only using portals made the picture noisefree.

Thanks to everybody

P.S.: here the new image. :slight_smile:

Attachments