Can't Render image with light and textures at the same time!

With the image that you can see, I have the person made, and I made the textures with UV’s.

But when I am in Blender Render, when I rendered an image, the whole thing was black. I then remembered that I usually make a light source in Cycles Render, which will then show the textures. But when I rendered the image, the textures were not there. They were just plain white.

I have done this before, but for some reason I can’t get the textures over to Cycles Render, and I can’t make a light source in Blender Render. I just need one of those things to work and I can then make the Image.

For the light source, others have recommended just making a flat plane, putting it into position, and them turning the surface from Diffuse to Emission, and the UV’s I moved into Adobe photo shop, colored them and then re uploaded them into Blender. I only say this in case that could affect what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks to who can answer!

Attachments

For the light source, others have recommended just making a flat plane, putting it into position, and them turning the surface from Diffuse to Emission,
That’s for cycles. For Blender Render just add a lamp.

Are you sure you have set up the materials correctly and added the texture to the material ?

Remember that cycles and blender render use different material systems so you cannot just switch between the two. Each renderer needs its own material setup.

Pack all your textures into your .blend file (File / External Data) and attach or post a download link to your .blend file so we can actually see how you have set up your materials.

Ah I now see what I have done wrong

I have added the lamp as you said, and that’s worked fine, but now as you mention assigning your texture to a material, I now see that I haven’t done that at all. When I go from previewing the texture - next to the different modes for those who don’t know - I now see my character is black.

Sorry if this is an easy fix, I’m not the best in the world and have only create a few things on Blender before, but thanks to Richard for helping me with the light problem. I only need help with assigning a texture to a material. (Can you tell me how to do that in both Cycles and Blender Render, because it might be useful in another project).

Likely the person have a default material on already; if so all you’d need to do is select the object and go Textures tab (checker icon), create new Image texture, add your painting where appropriate dropdown is and make sure to select UVs as a mapping.

Cycles is not much different except it defaults to UV mapping; if your object has UVs all you need to do is to add image texture node connected to DiffuseBSDF node’s color input. Texture coordinate and Mapping node can be added but is not required for the simple cases.