Need help with rendering in cycles!

Hello! I’m nixodemus1. I have a problem and would really appreciate any answers i could get. I was trying out cycles rendering for the first time and when I rendered it out, i kept getting this sort of fuzz to the picture. on the top is the cycles rendered with defult paths and settings. It was really quick, took only 30 mins. while on the bottom is the same scene rendered with maximum settings in branched paths mode. though better, its still fuzzy, and it even took VERY long. it took 2:30:23. Is there a way i can

1. get rid of the fuz completely
  2. reduce my rendering time?

thank you! :slight_smile:

Attachments

God knows I’m no Cycles Guru but what are you using for lighting here. Are you attempting to light the entire scene with mesh lights. Make the florescent light bulbs emissive and then use a area light for the scene situated in that same spot. That making the florescent bulbs simply smoke and mirrors and the unseen area light something Cycles can seek out.

Actually, in some ways you have the Cycles scene from hell here. What is you AO set at. I would start with 0.5 and then work down. The reflectors for your fluorescent lights can be handled in many ways once this mesh light business is put to rest. If they require a area light pointing straight up well so be it. And, finally as you are probably well aware clamping is used for noise in Cycles. In a scene like this I might start with 16 for Clamp Direct: But, if that is turning your render to a grey mush simply increase it. Once again you sure picked a scene to try Cycles.

Attachments

Will someone please get that Australian on this double posting for images. Maybe the Blender Institute could simply loan him out. The new site is outstanding except for this. Hell, I’m reluctant to post one image whereas I might have posted three before.

Will someone please get that Australian on this double posting for images. Maybe the Blender Institute could simply loan him out. The new site is outstanding except for this. Hell, I’m reluctant to post one image whereas I might have posted three before.

Although I don’t see much influence of the outdoor acting as a lighting source, you should separate outdoor and indoor lighting and compose them afterwards. Tiny indoor lights works better if not competing with the large outdoor lighting, and both will produce less fireflies/noise if rendered separately. Rendering in passes is usually a good idea for any kind of mixed lighting (even mixed indoor lighting), and allows easy tuning and colorization in post.