Messianic Effect

Hi everyone!

My names jordan and i was wondering how i could recreate this effect inside of blenders internal renderer? By effect i mean the whole lighting covering up the face and slow flowing cape (I’m capable of using blenders cloth sim for the cape, can i edit the speed?) and such!

Thanks for any responses!

Attachments

This effect is called “bloom”:

not sure but probably you can try to use spot lamps

Glare node in compositor.

Like ones above me said, you have a bunch of options in the compositor once rendering is done. You will want to use glare, glow, fog, I forget which, and perhaps some contrast, possibly masking it with a mask node to make sure only a certain part is influenced.

You can also speed up or slow down an animation if I am correct. Use the “time remap” option. It is a little obscure in its use - you need to lenghten the timeline by the same factor you slow the animation. This is, however, meant to be used on the whole animation, not just a cape in the scene. For a slowly flowing cape look at air density and play around with cloth stiffness. If you need more of a “pop” add a turbulence force field into the scene and play around with that.

Another node for compositing that can help is Luminance Key, to separate light/bright areas and apply over it other filters as glare or blur.

Thanks for all of these responses! All of which i will test out when i get the chance and ill definitely be posting the result

Also, the way that the actor’s hand is lighter than his body suggests that a simple “travelling matte” technique might have been used, even in (2D) post-production. It could have been a simple horizontal gradient.

And … did someone put a subliminal face in the cloud, just to the (your-)left of the actor’s head?

Always bear in mind that “what you see on-screen, probably is not what first came out of the camera, or the renderer.” When you are reproducing the total effect of a scene “as you saw it,” you don’t need to try to get the renderer to do everything at once. Think in terms of a multi-stage production process, and “successive refinement,” to finally get what you finally want to come up with. (And you also do not have to limit yourself to just one renderer!)