Graphic drivers freezing. What hardware is working well for you on a Ubuntu machine?

Hi all,

Both my ubuntu/linux mint systems worked just fine until about two years ago, when they started suffering from system freezes. It took me quite a while to figure out that the nvidia drivers are likely the culprit, but I haven’t been able to fix the issues despite trying the free drivers and many versions of the proprietary drivers. As most (nvidia) cards use the same drivers, I didn’t feel confident that upgrading the systems would solve the problems.

But I have been missing an obvious path to solving the problem. Simply asking you what hardware is working well for you. So if you have an ubuntu/kubuntu/linux mint machine that is running smoothly and preferably very silently, what’s inside? What graphics card are you using and is it playing well with Blender?

System 1:
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz x 8
Graphics: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2

System 2:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz x 8
Graphics: GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2
This last system is very silent and I’d like to keep it that way. Can you recommend a card of comparable or greater capabilities that doesn’t sound like a jet aircraft?

Many thanks!
Cornell

Hi, I am a Suse/Opensuse user for many Years now and use Nvidia cards from the beginning.
GT 9600, GTX 260, 750Ti, 560Ti 448 and now GTX 670, 760 and never had/have problems with it.
I got freezes sometimes when I use hibernate and not shutdown.
Check themperature on the GTX 260 system with:
watch -n 2 nvidia-smi or with nvidia-settings in a terminal.
Do you use driver from repository or from Nvidia directly?

Cheers, mib

Hi mib,

Nice to see there are ways around the freezes. The hibernating freezing I used to get too, but that seems to be unrelated. The temperatures seem fine, they can go up as high as 100 Celsius while running a game, but that never seems to crash the system. The freezes occur shortly after booting (so the system is still cool) and after a reboot or two, the system becomes stable for as long as I leave it on.
I usually use the ones from the repositories (tried a lot of versions) but I did try to install ones from Nvidia directly a while back. I’m not sure that install went well though, I think they didn’t work. Can’t remember exactly, it was a while back. I might give those another go, just to be on the safe side.
Why, is there a difference I am unaware of?

Thanks,
Cornell

Hi, iirc the Ubuntu Nvidia driver are very old and sometimes incomplete.
I have no idea what you can do except latest driver, such errors are really hard to catch.
Please keep in mind if the kernel get an update you have to reinstall the driver, xserver does not start, be prepared.

Cheers, mib

i am using SUSE leap also
your GTX 260 needs the “340.96” driver
and like the GTS 240 i have it is a level 2 cuda card
– not usable in the current blender

This is a SUSE KDE bug ( i have this problem)
it might be worth checking if the terminal is using 100% of a cpu core
that is AFTER you close a terminal it then uses 100% of a core cycles

this can freeze a system if all the cores are being used

Cornell, do you have the same problems with the GT 640 system?
Then kick Ubuntu. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers, mib