Some blender/Daz Studio questions

First I have a possibly loaded question:
anyone know advantages/disadvantages to posing/rendering in Blender vs. Daz|Studio?

Also, I am trying to build some props in Blender and bring them into DS to use. I am running into a few problems (insert std newbie disclaimer here):

1. my props have several parts, but after I export as an obj from blender, and import (using file -> import) into D|S, they appear as one part. How can I retain multiple parts? Should I parent the model parts before exporting?

2. When I export to obj in blender, I get the obj and a .mtl file. I assume the mtl has the material properties in it, but how can I actually make use of it in D|S ?

3. one prop has some parts which should appear smoothed , however, I would like to have one part appear somewhat blocky (solid mode in blender rendering) for the look. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks in advance

If you’re using DAZ models, pose them in Poser. You’ll get better deformations. (You’d have to rig them manually in Blender, which would be pointless since the people at DAZ have already spent a lot of time making the models deform well with their rigs.)

1. When you say “several parts” do you mean they are separate objects? If yes then you’ll have to export them individually (one at a time). If not, tab into edit mode, deselect all vertices, select a vertex on a part to separate, press Ctrl-L, then press P and confirm. Repeat for each part to separate.

2,3) These appear to be questions on how to use Poser. I presume there are some here who could answer your question (I’m not one) but you might have better luck asking in your local daz forum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. I am using DS since it is free and I am learning, perhaps based on the number of users, buying Poser one day may be wise.

for 1) an example is a simple sword, with separate objects for the blade, hilt, and handle. What I was hoping to be able to do was to use some of the controls in DS to scale, etc the different parts (to fine tune to the model). So the desired effect would be 1 prop but with several parts (perhaps parenting would be good for this), so that it could be translated as one, but each part tweaked individually.

as for 2,3 - I figured they were a bit DS focused, so I have put them up on the DS forums.

Thanks again