How to 'install' blender scripts into the script menu? - mac

how do you ‘install’ blender scripts so that they show up in the blender scripts menu? its a pain having to keep having to find the script in the text editor, and press alt-p.

i am running mac os x 10.3.9 with python 2.4

You could try to put your scripts into Blender.blender\scripts directory. Though it would be neat if there were ‘script installer’ in Blender.

i searched, and there is no folder named .blender. i know there is on windows, but not mac i guess.

There is a .blender folder. It’s hidden. You need to find a way to make hidden folders visible.

I use Tinkertool which is free (Google it, I don’t have the URL). Install Tinkertool (easy) and select ‘Make hidden files visible’ (or something to that effect) then have Tinkertool restart the Finder. all .* files will be visible in the Finder and will be accessible justl like regular files - be careful though when mucking around inside your System folder.

Anyway, with the hidden files visible, ctrl-click on the Blender icon and a menu will appear - select ‘show package contents’ (or something like that) and you will get into the Blender package. open Contents -> .blender -> scripts. Copy your script into that folder, start up the Blender app, go to the scripts window, select ‘update menus’ and viola! It should appear.

However, when putting in a folder rather than just a single python script, I have found that most of the python scripts disappear from the Python menu. I’m going to ask around here about this weird behavior.

– Anthony

Aha!!!
:smiley:

Thank you…

[Please delete this message, it won’t let me do it.]
I didn’t notice at first that this question was asked by a Mac user, so re-posting my response as a Windows Vista user tip for installing Blender. Sorry…

For Mac OS X users:

Place the script on your desktop.

Open a terminal window. (Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

Type the following:

cp ~/Desktop/SCRITPNAME.py /Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender/scripts/

(Where “SCRITPTNAME.py” is the name of the script sitting on your desktop.)
(That little squiggly thing after “cp” is a ‘tilde.’ You’ll find it immediately to the left of the number 1 on an American/English keyboard.)
(Spaces, capital letters, slashes and dots are all SIGNIFICANT. Type the command EXACTLY as you see it, substituting the name of your script in the correct place.)

Press <RETURN> to execute.

Type “exit” followed by <RETURN>.

Quit the terminal.

Start Blender.

Go to your SCRIPTS window. (Pull down the little snake symbol in the corner of your window. If you know how to use scripts you should already know how to do this. :slight_smile: )

In the “Scripts” menu, select “Update Menus.”

You’re done! :slight_smile:

Hmm i’ve managed to get the luxblend exporter into the scripts menu, however when i try to use it it just gives me the message: ‘Python script error: check console’

Anybody know what’s going on, Mac OSX10.4.10 btw on blender version 2.47. I’ll try with 2.48 just to see if that’s the cause.

To check the console, open an Application called ‘Console’ (Apple’s real creative ya’ know). Either spotlight search for Console or Go to Applications->Utilities->Console.

Its also probably good to leave older threads dead. Just start a new one with this new query, since it helps keep things more searchable…

I have a strange issue here: all my scripts disappeared, all gone; and when i go in the scripts panel and do the update menu, nothing happens…they are basically empty.

import and export also are empty…i just see 3 options to import and export.

All that i did was to install a new script using an sh script, after launching that shell script (that was just copying the py files in the .blender/scripts folder) all the scipts disappeared from the menu, and even deleting the app, downloading the new and launching again does not fix the issue

I use a OSX machine, with 2.4.9 version of blender; any help would be more than appreciated

A few things to check
In your User Preferences / File Paths make sure you are pointing to the location your scripts folder.
Delete your .B.blend file (a hidden file in your Macintosh HD / Users / [username] location.
To toggle on/off hidden files I use this widget http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/hiddenfiles.html

Richard

I was about to say… can you not open the blender file as a package on macOSX the scripts folder is in there

thanks, quite useful,
updated link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/hiddenfiles_matthansen.html

what file format should the script be saved in? like i have the code copied in just the paste clipboard as text but were do i paste it? into a text file? then how do i get it to be a python file? format??

what file format should the script be saved in? like i have the code copied in just the paste clipboard as text but were do i paste it? into a text file? then how do i get it to be a python file? format??

Change the file extension to .py

Note the age of this thread. Everything written here is of no use for any version of blender from the last few years