BUG: Windows blender crash when opening linux .blend file

Hi,

I think i found a bug in the windows version of blender. I have found the same behaviour in blender 2.37a and 2.41.

Windows blender crashes when I open a .blend file, created in the linux version, which containes a link to an external mesh (another .blend-file).

It can be reproduced as such:

1. In linux create a new .blend file.
  2. Rename the default cube mesh to MyCube.
  3. Save the file to linked.blend
  4. Create a new blend file.
  5. Append a link to the Mycube mesh into the current file. (file, append…)
    make sure you select “linked” and “relative paths”.
  6. Change the mesh of the default cube to the linked MyCube mesh
  7. Save the file to main.blend
  8. Open main.blend in the windows version of blender and CRASH

If you do it in reverse (creating the files on Windows and then opening them in Linux) does not let blender crash.

I suspect that the windows version cannot handle forward slashes in pathnames, because it tries to open a link to “//linked.blend”.

Please let me know if you have a workaround. i really like this to work, since at home I work on linux and when i am on the road i (have to) work under Windows.

Fiepel

If the first file is stored on a linux filesystem, then windows wont be able to open the file. This is necessary because you have relative paths enabled.

Ian

I do not understand why it should be necessary. Please explain.

AND: it works the other way around…

Apologies, I meant if linked is enabled.

Well, if you are loading the mesh/whatever from another file, then it must load it from that file.

Now, if the file is on a linux filesystem then you cant open it whilst in windows (without trickery). If you have a fat32 filesystem then linix can read/write it fine, if you have a ntfs system then linux should be able to read from it, but writing is a dodgy afair and best not attempted.

Basically, windows is trying to read something from a file stored in a way that it doesnt understand, so it complains.

That is, if I am right and this isnt a bug.

Edit - Try editing your posts instead of double posting

Ian

Maybe I was not clear:

I create the files on linux, then I MOVE them to my windows box and try to open them. So it has nothing to do with the filesystem.

I linked the file with relative paths enabled and both files are in the same directory. The reference that blender has stored in the .blend file is to a file called “//linked.blend”, because this is what blender reports in the console.

Furthermore, blender should not crash anytime, even if there is something wrong with datafile.

Fiepel

Sorry, I see what you mean now. I had assumed you were dual booting.

Sounds like a bug to me, or at least an oversight. Have you posted this over at blender.org, or in the bugtracker? It shouldn’t be something too difficult to fix.

Furthermore, blender should not crash anytime, even if there is something wrong with datafile.

Very true.

Ian