Pirates of the Caribbean

Very rough beginning of the original attraction at Disneyland.

Attachments

looks good. Never been there, but looks good.

Thanks , jesse. Here’s some more views. (I’m just getting the hang of this posting thing.) The entrance facade, located at street level, is above the system of ramps (waterfalls) the little boats you ride in travel down. There is much detail work to be done yet on the facade. The pirate ship will be located in the main show building, in the back, which is only a floor at this point. The Caribbean town will be built on the rough foundations I’ve laid out, on either side of the water channel. This is my first project, and may be my last, because I expect it will take years to finish!

Attachments

One more.

Attachments

thats looking pretty awesome. ive never been or seen the palce you are modelling but it looks really good anyway. whats the poly count so far?
since your new to modelling and elysiun, if you have any problems just pm me and ill see if i can help :slight_smile:

keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Hi, Daniel. I’m just back from a week at work (no intenet available.) Thanks for the kind words. I’ve just sent off for the Blender manual. I’m taking it pretty slow: just basic modeling and rudimentary asignment of material. I haven’t even attempted texturing yet. As for the poly count, I lost track, when I ran out of fingers and toes. Is there a way to get the count from Blender? I took a look at your car model. I’m amazed you were able to shape it in just a few hours. You have a great sense of curvature and space. Just to show you what a rube I am, I was going to pm you, but I can’t figure out how to do it!

thanks :D, for pm’ing its got a little thing at the bottom of my post that says PM :slight_smile: for counting the poly’s (vertices, or faces) look at the top on the right hand side it will tell you there. keep up the awesome work man, ill be watching this thread :wink:

Okay. Vertices- 91,858, faces- 96,417, objects- 268. I figure it’s only a matter of time before I have to expand the memory.

Great model. I’ve thought about making pirates of carribean too but I changed my mind cause when I thought about it I were a total n00b. Acctually it was some scene from the moviI’ve wanted to do. You have inspired me to do one on my own.

Nice man. I’ve been working on Tomorrowland for a while now, most of the time is trying to find the reference for it. When I get done I want to put it into Unreal, but after seeing that Blender can do walkthroughs with the game engine I’m pretty excited to do that.

Here are some screens so far…
http://fullarticulation.net/gallery/3d/wip/wip.htm

herm thread hijacking herm

Robin, you should go for it. There’s nothing like pirates to get your blood up! Reckless, I looked at your Tomorrowland. Wow, you’ve modeled the whole thing! I really like the detailing you’re doing on Innoventions and the rocket ship. I know exactly what you mean about finding references for modelling. Part of the fun, eh? Here’s an update: I’ve filled the upper and lower levels with water (still working on the middle floor.)

Attachments

I’m sure you’ve been to these, but if not check out

http://www.disneyfans.com
and
http://www.intercotwest.com

The guy who runs disneyfans is pretty cool and he’ll probably get you some custom pics if you ask nicely.

reckless robin, thanks for the heads up on the websites. I visited disneyfans. Didn’t try to contact anyone, but was able to score some great close-ups that have enabled me to do some important detailing on the railing. I’ve also roughed in the Wicked Wench.

Attachments

nice. it looks like this is really coming together. Keep up the good work, do you have refs from the original ride (blueprints, photos, etc.)? if not find some.

-XrQLz

What I have is some copies of the floor plan of the two lower levels, lots and lots of pics gleaned from the internet, and a few reference illustrations from books, such as Jason Surrell’s “Pirates of the Caribbean.” While this model is relatively accurate, it’s far from perfect. Very far.The levels of detail in New Orleans Square is phenomenal, and I’ve barely penetrated them. There were hundreds, perhaps thousands, employed, for several years, in the original creation. (From beginning to end was over ten years I think.) So it’s slow going for me. Here’s an update.

Attachments

I think the houses look like houses from the wild west so maybe make them a little bit wider.

The houses, or shops, aren’t done yet. In time, they’ll have more wrought-iron railing around the balconies and other articulation. New Orleans, in the eighteenth century was effectively a western city. Still, it was an urban area, where real estate was at a premium. There was much crowded into a small amount of space. The scale on this is correct, insofar as the “Disney version” of the French Quarter is concerned. Keep watching. In time you’ll see how narrow and cramped the city streets can get!

Attachments

Avast Ye! Thar be boats in the water…:smiley:

Attachments

This is an awesome project so far, but alas, it will all be for naught if there is no Jack Sparrow in there SOMEWHERE.:wink: :smiley: