Object Snap in Blender

Hi,
I’m trying to find out more about object snap in blender –
Example:
I have two cubes and would like to snap them together at corner vertices,
how could I achieve this? (Or even face to face, edge to edge, etc…)

I see that the cursor can be snapped, or the object to grid, but I have not found a way to snap object to object…

Thanks for any help or ideas,

BB

1. go into edit mode of one cube and select the corner vertex.
  2. shift-s -> cursor to selection
  3. tab back to object mode and in the editing buttons -> mesh panel press the center cursor button. This move s the object center to the vert location.
  4. tab into edit mode of the other cube and select the other corner vert.
  5. shit->s -> cursor to selection
  6. tab into object mode and select the first cube again.
  7. shift-s -> selection to cursor.

Harder to explain than do.

GreyBeard

Hi bbynum! Welcome to Elysiun. As far as I know there are no snapping function beyond shft-s or holding down crtl for 10 Blender units/ shft for smaller increments. You can use your 3D view to effect - for eg. Top view move will not effect Z axis, and the other views work the same. Or moving G key X key, will also give added control, if you just wanted to move in X direction.

You can join loop edges together in Edit mode with Mesh / Scripts / Bridge faces edge loops, which might be more effective for what you are trying to do?

Hope that helps…

Hi PatDog and Greybeard,
Thanks for the help… I am now snapping objects happily!

It seems that EVERY 3D editor is different. I am used to AutoCAD, TrueSpace, 3DS, but the thing I love about Blender is the MANY features and huge and HELPFUL community.

I had been playing with the object local origin as some way to do this but the multiple moves was where I was going wrong (wasn’t doing 'em :slight_smile: )!

Thanks again…