extrusion towards center without aligning towards center point

hi volks,

i copied a simple prism five times to a whole turn by using the spin function and now i’m wishing to extrude all at once towards the commen center. i marked all circle inner vertices, pressed E to extrude, RMB, S for sizing down and what happens then is not exactly what i need. i would like to have the prisms extruded parallel across the center and not aligning towards the center point.

i tried out several pivot and orientation modes but neither one worked as desired.

is there someone who knows first aid to this problem?

appreciations are guaranteed!

veyron

Attachments

When you extrude, a small menu opens with several options, select the individual faces one.

You could also make only one prism object and use the array modifier to make copies of this object. Then make an empty and use it for Object Offset in the array modifier. Rotation, position and size of the empty will affect how the copies will be positioned. Might need a bit of testing to get used to, but in the end you’ll only have to edit one prism and the changes you make to it will apply to all of the copies.

well i also checked out your first suggestion before but i forgot to mention it. but it sadly doesn’t work.

your second idea however sounds useful and advantagous and i will certainly try that technique out. but i guess i will need a while to really understand it.
anyway i thank you very much.

veyron

Here’s a way to do it:
1)Change the orientation setting to “Normal”
2)Extrude the faces on each cube individually along the objects normal (the orientation will allow you to contrain it).

It will do this: which i think is what you want?
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3193/untitled1os1.jpg

It’s a bit clumsy but it does what you want (i think).

Regards,
Dan