Blender tops Max in game poll

Hi all,

I don’t think this has been posted yet, so I thought I would let you all know that Blender has beaten 3DS Max and Milkshape 3D in a poll of indie game developers as the development tool of choice.

http://ogre.sourceforge.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-Polls&file=index&req=results&pollID=4&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

OGRE is an free, indie game engine that is quite popular amongst the indie developer set, at least among people who develop games as a hobby. It’s quite a good engine, as far as I can see, with heaps of potential and certainly better than 90% of free engines out there (Crystal Space, anyone? :P)

As an indie developer I use Blender in my workflow pretty much every day… I’m an artist (2d) with Antissa Studios (a small indie game outfit), and a website developer too. Working on our latest game Unbirth, I can dabble in 3d art as well as stick to my traditional 2d textures and graphics. It’s really a testament to Blender’s power, once you get to know it, that I can make equally complex models in Blender in 1/4 the time it takes our lead 3D artist to make a character in Max (even though my models are shit :)) Remember, a gun is only a device that focuses an explosion in one direction. Blender’s community has a whole lot of energy, and if we could focus it in one direction… hehe we would have tremendous power. It seems the Garagegames partnership thing was a wise choice!

Actually, for our in-house engine, we were (and still are) considering making Blender our modeller and level editor of choice for free mod makers. We already have a working max plugin tho, so if the Blender plugin ever comes, it’ll be a while.

Switchblade,
2D artist and Biz Director,
Antissa Studios

PS. Yeah, I know my post reads like a fuckin press release, I’m so used to writing copy for forums, the habit sticks :slight_smile: