FGon?

hey everyone,
I’m trying to get a model of a BMW done but I at some places then I when I want to create a face Im getting a popup about somethig called FGon. what does it mean and how do I overcome it? I tought that it means something like I cant make a face for more than 4 verticles, but now Im getting it not only at 4 verticles and even at 3.
sometimes im also getting a message that the verticles make a concave quad (sorry,dunno how to spell it)
what should I do?

thx

I don’t know about getting a Fgon out of 3 or 4 verts

but if you get a concave quad - just hit the smooth button once or twice and then try to build your face again

Concave polygons
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Concave_quads

FGon
See http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Glossary/Mesh#F … it’s an optical ‘illusion’ for flat polygons that have more than 4 vertices/sides.

So problems with concave polygons can only happen with 4 sides/vertices right now in blender [1]… the FGon message could pop up for all sorts of problems when creating faces.

Werner

PS: See also http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutorials/Fill_Faces

[1] If blender would support more than 4 sides (i.e. N-Gons) the problem would happen with more as well. 3 vertices would never produce this message in theory, but I think I’ve heard rumours (I could not reproduce it) that 3 vertices in a straight line do produce it as well … it’s not exactly a concave polygon, but the same problem for the “create face” command.

what do i do then? I need some faces to get the model done but it keeps poping out FGon. I cant leave holes in the body can I?

You had to sellect more than four vertices. I don’t know any other case this message poping out.
Desselect them all (A key) and sellect only four that will form the face you want.

FGon is used if you don’t want any edges to show up, but you have to select more then 4 vertices. As for the holes, I am a noob :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, in that case, posting the .blend might be a good idea, since we have got no idea what you are speaking about, or rather, what is causing the problem here. As stated, you could have selected too many vertices or the faces are already forming a face or something.

Oh, and probably off-the board, try REMOVING DOUBLES. In edit mode, select all ( A ) and then ( W ) and select Remove Doubles. OK? This might help, possibly

I’m sure that there are 4 verticles cause I zoomed on it. I sent the blender file to my IT teacher who is good in blender, he will try to fix it but in case that it wouldnt work out I’ll post the file…

What does the top-right status bar say next to “Ve:” after selection? if it says “Ve: 4-xx” (where xx is the total number of vertices and 4 should be the number of selected ones) then it should be correct. Zooming in on vertices does not show if there are any doubles. -> What David wrote.

Oh and a screenshot would be nice so we at least have some clue of what you are talking about.

Werner

never mind… I deleted that part that part and remodeled it. Its OK now. I’m almost finished with the model.
I also found a way to deal with concave quads. I just move one of the verticles, make a face and put it back. So far it didnt leave any artifacts…

thx anyway