rounded edges and bending.

Having been away from blender for a while i have forgotton how to do the rounded edges bit. i know i click a key, select something and it asks me something like # of times?-then the sharp edges are rounded.
how do i do that?
also i have a complicated shape and i just want to bend/curve it so it would say fit on a cylinder (there will be no actual cylinder)
i looked in the wiki thing - found amazing things - but without the right keyword i am lost!

for only one edge go into edit mode select the edge you want
then on the bottom header select script and pick the bevel edge
This will bring you where you to specifie how to bevel one specific edge

Salutations

surely i would need a script to use the script box?
anyway i do not know how to do it that way!
there has to be a simple way - i have used it!

About beveling; there are three ways to do it:

1. Use W -> Bevel, the inbuilt tool. Not really recommended as it messes up your meshes.
  2. Go into edit mode, select some edges and go to Mesh -> scripts -> Bevel Center 2. Works good sometimes, sometimes not.
  3. Do it manually. Recommended, since Blender really lacks some proper bevel or chamfer tool.

About bending; Curve Deform aka Curve Modifier is the keyword you should search for :wink:

You might be looking for the subsurf modifier? Maybe.

With your object selectd, F9 in a buttons window, then move to the right and click Add modifier and choose subsurf.

There are more options to choose from in the add modifier too. Perhaps it is one of them.

Also, blender comes with scripts already loaded for you. Make your 3d view full size, shift space with your cursor over the 3d window.

Now, click mesh in the header and click scripts. Easy. Oops, he was talking about the other ones. Sorry.

W-bevel is what did not remember - now you say not to!
as this is for an avatar -so file size restrictions-which is best re edges?

and why don’t i get emails when there is a new post. i set it up to do that

You might try putting a lattice on the object and curving it that way.

lattice sounds hard!

No lattice is easy. You just put one around your object. Then you can push and pull it to bend it. You can make it look like anything you want.

You can take a ball and shape it like a bottle in seconds.